News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Ah, okay, with the ken pointing across you then. I just tried it. Not too hard, but I prefer the ken grip version.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Yeap, palm up, and you initiate the spin by flicking spike to your left (flicking probably isn't a good way to describe the motion but I think you know what I mean)
The ball will spin sort of sideways around, as opposed to normal grip where the hole will rotate straight over the top towards you

The Void

Today I....

Managed my first Backhand Earth Turn, after having got nowhere with them the previous times I'd tried.

I also tried to get a "Ball-whirlwind" Aeroplane.... which I got after several goes. That trick needs a better name. I'll email a Japanese player and ask him if they have a name for that technique.

EDIT:
Also, today I taught a guy to click. In 10 minutes he landed all the cups, Moshikame, Around the Village, Spike, Aeroplane (that took him a few goes), Lighthouse, and Falling Down. Bit of a natural there.... or maybe it's just my genius teaching skills!  :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Lighthouse right off the start is impressive. Funny how some people pick it up so quick

The Void

Today[nb]Well, okay, it was yesterday, actually.[/nb] I photocopied some scoresheets and handouts for the EKO, and got a banner printed.

Yeah, okay, it's not a Trick, but I liked it.  :)

John

Gosh, lighthouse took me about 3 weeks to "consistently" get about 1 in 5! My TK16 was as slippery as an eel, to be fair...

Today on the Bus-stop Challenge TM I *almost* got wingwalker to bird and was cross when my bus arrived! I shall try and get it on the way home instead...

GbH

I got lighthouse after several minutes - but that's a completely different story! :-)

The Void

Today[nb]yeah, okay, yesterday again[/nb], I was teaching a circus skills workshop to some female Italian students. Didn't manage to drum up much interest in the kendama amongst them. Funny how it grabs some people more than others.....[nb]Male vs Female? Rubbish old futile argument....[/nb]

GbH

Quote from: The Void on 22 July, 2011, 14:46:37
Today[nb]yeah, okay, yesterday again[/nb], I was teaching a circus skills workshop to some female Italian students. Didn't manage to drum up much interest in the kendama amongst them. Funny how it grabs some people more than others.....[nb]Male vs Female? Rubbish old futile argument....[/nb]

Maybe you need to employ a little more 'psychology' to get them interested?  I find it's usually possible to get any small group interested and involved, if I approach it the right way.  The more common problem is getting them to give the kendama back, so I can move onto the next group.

The Void

Yep, I have to admit I wasn't trying that hard - it was a case of getting them interested in anything really. Usually I will adopt a little psychology/rivalry in my approach.

Meanwhile today[nb]yesterday[/nb] , after having theorised a trick, and then seen Eric do it in his recent video, I hit  Fast Hand Tomeken.

GbH

Just did a clean Bamboo Horse (aka stilts) from hanging for the first time.  It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I've even wanted to give it a serious attempt, so it's quite a nice feeling to have now done it at least once. 

The Void

Ooh, I've never even thought of trying it from Hanging. Well done!

GbH

Oh - probably used the wrong term there, then.  By 'hanging',  I meant the regular start, rather than just dropping down from a lighthouse.  So, possibly not what you were thinking. 

The Void

Hanging tends to mean the "holding-the-string" grip (as in Hanging Tomeken), so I assume you mean the "string hook" start (as commonly used to start Moon Landing).

GbH

Yeah, string-hook.  That would be it.  :)