News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

TK16 vs. Oozora for beginner

Started by happygoat, 05 January, 2013, 15:12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

happygoat

Hi,

Having read a few threads in here in the gear section, I wonder why people generally recommend the TK16 for beginner in stead of the Oozora - is it because the TK is typically a little heavier and easier to control for a beginner?

Cheers!

primechicken

Hmmm I think part of the reason you are hearing that is because TK16's are known for being a really durable kendama that can last you for years, but it's not like ozoras aren't durable either. Honestly it's just personal preference, and you really can't go wrong with either of these brands. Both great kendamas. You probably won't notice the differences until you have played for a little while anyways, and by then you will have a better idea of what you're looking for.

Happy clicking!

Ian Saldana

The first kendama I ever touched was a Tk-16, I tried it out for a good 15 minutes and was having a hard time. Then my friend comes over with his ozora and said to give it a go. I loved it! It's really all preference, I prefer Ozoras, and Tributes over Tk's and Shin Fuji's. Then some people will prefer different...I have only been in the Kendama community for 3 months or so, but with help from extreme enthusiasts I have made it as far as I currently am.

happygoat

I experience the same! When I started to play kendama 3 weeks ago I bought an Ozora, a TK-16 and a Sunrise. To me, the Ozora feels much better than the other two. The weight distribution in the ken is also much better. When practising the Aeroplane trick, the TK often rotates in the air, whereas when I do it with the ozora it remains stable in the air. Of course I know it is also a question about technique, but the TK and Sunrise feels heavier in the bottom of the ken, and difficult to control for me at least.
Although I'm not able to land a lunar trick yet, I have tried and position the kd on the tama. Again the TK is so heavy at the bottom of the ken, that it just falls off if I do not bring the ken enough forward. Then if it comes to much forward the tama is so slippery that it just slides off :-(

I have also noticed that the ozora is ~½ cm shorter than the other two kd's - is that standard/normal?

Further, the TK is slippery as wet ice, and I have a very hard time landing a lighthouse. The ozora and sunrise seem much stickier.

The Void

I've never really got on with TK16s - always found them slippery, as happy says. Perhaps it's because I've never persevered with one long enough to wear it in. Plenty of other people seem to like 'em though.

I suspect the height difference you're seeing is with the ball on the spike? This is usually down to the position of the cross-piece being slightly different. The ken itself is normally the same length. A slightly higher-or-lower cross-piece will also affect how the ken plays. If it's set higher, Moon Landings will be more awkward, and Earth Turns easier; if lower, then vice versa.

And, as always, wood varies in weight/density. Any two kendamas of the same brand could easily play differently.

YMMV.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SakuraKendama

I would Recommend a TK-16 for an early beginner but definitely upgrading to an Oozora once they get better.

SamKendama

i would reccomend an oozora because oozoras are a lot stickier in my opinion and easier to handle then the typical TK16 masters lol

emagdnim

adds nothing at the moment, but i ordered a oozora.
Mailman dropped it off at the neighbours, can't wait till they come home.

Will add a opinion about oozora vs. sunrise when I have played it.

Kendama+cliniK

Void is definitely right. The sarado sits slightly lower on the ken of an ozora in comparison to a tk-16 or a sunrise. All in my opinion are great kendamas, it's all about personal preference. My personal opinion, ozora is where it's at.
Kendama+cliniK

Kendama+cliniK

Oh, also a bit of advice. If you can learn with a slick paint job, it sets you up to be able to play with any kendama. I've gone through extreme lengths to actually make things more challenging. Prepare for the worse, hope for the best!
Kendama+cliniK

BrandonYoder

^Boom. Words of wisdom.
^Nothing but the truth.

Waylon

I like the fit and feel of my tk16. I usually only play it when I'm practicing self certs. It is bulletproof. I think you'd have to break the tama in two to chip the paint. It was also my first kendama. It's great for anything other than balance tricks.