News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

(Very) chipped kendama

Started by Dimensions, 18 February, 2013, 19:03:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

My friend, who doesn't play kendama, was playing with my kendama the other day just messing around on the top of the patio and for a joke ATTEMPTED a spacewalk (as he saw me do one) and the kendama just fell down the, concrete, stairs it was quite spectacular (even if I say so myself) it bounced and bounced collapsed and collapsed. My friend then said the comment "oh it's fine" and I murmured "and also chipped" yes he heard me and said the, rather annoying, comment "not like it wasn't chipped already"
So when he left I looked at the damage, yes some parts of the cups had been chipped but not the much!, the ridge of the base cup and the ring above has been chipped. The top of the spike is really rough now and a nice chunk has been taken out

So my question is how I could smoothen up the cups, ridges and spike of the kendama, should I use sandpaper should I sharpen the spike with a knife, I really don't know

P.s the kendama is still playable but it is a bit rough to handle
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

BKA

Hi,
That's an unfortunate story. :(
Well, it's probably best to avoid taking any kind of blade to the patient, at least at first. Wood is a quite supple material, so it's probably worth trying to gently work out any dinks with something firm and blunt. (A hard bit of wood? Screwdriver handle?).

It's hard to say without looking at it in one's hand, but perhaps some fine sandpaper could heal a bit of damage, but use with caution! It could be very easy to end up wearing away a section that you were trying to repair.