News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Video Challenge: Endless Combo (everybody can enter)

Started by Cliffdama, 18 April, 2013, 11:09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

It is tricky but it can be done.

[user]Sonicpearse[/user]- You don't have to wait for the string to go taught before catching the ken on your fingers.

My advice is during the throw to pop the ken out of the tama by the smallest amount necessary to achieve separation then immediately get the two 'pistol' fingers in position under the cup *before* the string goes taught. (Big cup seems significantly easier to me). From then on it's all about major cushioning (great practice for the knees!) and keeping everything in the vertical so as to not knock the balancing ken off.

Bon chance!

EDIT: I just tried doing this by just dropping the tama from the aeroplane position, this is much harder! Maybe that's what you were trying?

Think 'pop and drop' rather than just drop alone!

As Dimensions says in the official post - 'Throw everything'!

shalafi

Ah, pop and drop sounds simpler.

I did try the just drop, and as void said, it's much harder than it seems.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Kev

Great stuff. I hope you get it.

I must confess the reason I've added it to the combo is that I'm looking for nice exit ideas!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

Quote from: Dimensions on 29 October, 2014, 13:05:26Next trick is:
106. [Aeroplane Position] > Pistolero Drop (A.K.A. Drop to Two-Fingered Balance)
- Start on an aeroplane position
- Throw everything
- Place two fingers underneath either cup
- Let the Tama drop
- Balance for 3 seconds with the Tama hanging

- Picture Above

Quote from: Cliffdama on 18 April, 2013, 11:09:10RULES
Trick Rules
- You cannot reply to your own trick.
- You must wait to re-enter until 5 other people have done a combo after you set one.
- You must wait to have your attempt verified by the previous setter before setting the next step.
- Use any competition-sized kendama.
- You should start the new transition from the finish position of the previous trick. i.e. You can just place the kendama into position. You don't have to do the previous move, but you can if you want to. But if so remember to...
- Hold the start and finish positions of the combo still for a couple of seconds please.
Video Rules (To help for a nicer compilation video)
- Make sure you have adequate lighting. Please film in daylight if possible. Clips usually look very poor in artificial light.
- Please film in Landscape, not Portrait, not Square.
[user]The Void[/user], [user]Sonicpearse[/user], [user]Dimensions[/user] [user]Kendama+cliniK[/user] & [user]Kev[/user]must sit out of this round.
Good luck everyone!
*bump*
Anyone trying it?

shalafi

I tried a few times, but I don;t have much time nowadays, and it gets dark early.

I think it should be doable.

BenPycroft24

I'm trying it but having some difficulty with it. Tried it for about 15 minutes today and didn't come close haha. I won't give up though.

LarsVegas

I try regularly, but I have hard times to balance the ken on my finger even if I just place it there. The weight on the string pulls it out of balance more often than not. And we're not even talking about catching and balancing it. I find, that if it's not absolutely in the right angle, it directly tilts over

How do you avoid that?
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Kev

Hey guys, thanks for trying!

I wrote a big reply to this post a few days back but only just noticed it hasn't shown up - (I was walking out of a wifi spot and into the 3G as I pressed send so maybe my phone managed to lose the message in the ether.)

Lars, my own experience is that the balance isn't too bad, maybe you're doing it slightly differently or have a slippy kendama?! Perhaps you just need to practice the balance a little longer on its own and check the pic to make sure we are doing the same thing.

Although it's a tricky one, I've managed to do this trick myself a couple of times (although it's taken a lot of attempts) so I'm sure you guys can do it!

One thing that may help as an intermediate step is to go from the Aeroplane catch then popping/dropping to Candle Grip rather than the Pistolero. Once you can do that it feels like the Pistolero is not far away. Just a thought.

Sorry for holding up the EC! It's one of my favourite things on the forum and I like to see it flowing along.

Anyone getting closer?

Dimensions

[user]Kev[/user] so we can catch it in candle grip before we enter the balance/string goes taught?
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Kev

No.

I was saying a good intermediate step to learning the trick was to break it down to something simpler.

So practicing aeroplane grip to candle is easier than than aeroplane grip to Pistolero.

It's just an idea for learning the move.

Once you can do aeroplane grip to candle you then just need to learn to do it without the thumb and hey presto - Pistolero!

shalafi

it's a long shot from the switch to candle (which I did at first try) to the pistolero (which I haven't landed yet)

kendamatty

So I haven't participated in a while, but this looked like a very unique opportunity to get back in the endless combo!

kendama endless combo #106 - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Ok I hope Kev?

The Void

Ha, love the expression at the end, mate. Wonder what Kev will think....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Well then Matt, it's a tricky trick indeed!

You can certainly have that - well done.  8)

(Super style point / future reference in case the Pistolero becomes 'a thing'. I'd like to see straighter barrel fingers - maybe you did them but hard to tell from the vid.).

And yep - great expression at the end!

So,

The bit I've been waiting for - what's next?