News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Sunrise and BKA

Started by br4d24, 12 June, 2013, 17:53:22

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

I want to get an new kendama but i am split on which i should get! I only own one ooz and tributes. Was thinking of getting a tk or shin fuji roku or jamaca. If BKA is affiliated with sunrise or benefits in some way i would like to go that route. Love my performer!

If anyone sells new battles i will take that ina heartbeat (for a good price)

Suggestions?

PikWik

dont have too much experience with kendamas but im right there with you. i have an ozora, a tribute, a bamboo shenzu, and this starter kendama that im sure ill give to someone if they show interest. the shenzu plays so different and slippery. ive landed 1 lighthouse with it and i can lighthouse on my ozora 1 in 5 or better everytime :/

of my kendamas, the ozora is above and beyond the nicest. the construction and weight feel so strict and professionally manufactured. i know i sound like an ozora fan boy but they have some amazing wood turning/cutting techniques. second to that, and probably the one i play the absolute most is my tribute. that kendama has been Played and looks nowhere near as damaged as my ozora.

a sunrise is definitely on my list of wants. they seem like solid damas with some good paint now (since 2012) . ive also been looking at the sweets website and i want to get one of those too. but, the price tag and non-sanctioned specs make it a $50 ornament that i would probably buy and then not want to play cause it cost so much :? kendamas are supposed to played!

so imo, i would get a sunrise!

note to self: if i think about letting sweets take my money, ill order 2 JKAs instead ^_^

happygoat

I own a TK, and as you probably know the Sunrise is modelled after the TK.

The TK is a very durable and sturdy kendama. To me, it feels clunky, and when landing lunars the angle of the ken on the tama must be very steep for it to balance. The tama is slippery as wet ice! I know that some people say that it will be better over time, but I did not have the patience to wait for that.   :-\

Sunrises have the same feel to me, but on the plus side is a nice sticky tama.

The weight distribution of the Ozora is more balanced, and it probably has something to do with the cross-piece placement on the ken. On the Ozora it is mounted closer to the slip stop.

After trying TK, Sunrise, KROM and Ozora, I have just come to the conslusion that Ozoras fit my play best, and stopped the search for an even better kendama (until the New Mugen is released). My wallet likes that, too!  :P

shalafi

Quote from: br4d24 on 12 June, 2013, 17:53:22
I want to get an new kendama but i am split on which i should get! I only own one ooz and tributes. Was thinking of getting a tk or shin fuji roku or jamaca. If BKA is affiliated with sunrise or benefits in some way i would like to go that route. Love my performer!

If anyone sells new battles i will take that ina heartbeat (for a good price)

Suggestions?

AFAIK BKA is not affiliated with Sunrise, although SunRise and Play are approved kendamas for EKO / BKO.

I am in favor of always having one "universal" kendama, which is one of the approved by the JKA, then it comes down to personal preferences.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SamB

My advice would be to branch out and get JKA stuff now you are a serious player. If you can afford it buy a TK and a Shin Fuji (if not flip a coin buy one and next time buy the other) They're all different whether they are "better" is personal preference but really kendamas aren't too expensive so you can spend not much money and try everything. Also you can have 3 different JKA seals on your shelf which looks pretty cool!

In my experience I've loved each of them. currently I'm all Ozoras but might get a shin fuji next time because I miss my (now retired) one.

As for BKA and sunrise they aren't directly affiliated unless you buy one through the BKA store. The new sunrises and the new plays are great and they're cheap here so they are "wreckin'" kendamas for me!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

br4d24

I ended up getting a sweets marble after some long thinking. Sweets has a flat rate for shipping so getting a really nice one from them is the same as getting a JKA seal from kendama co. I wish i was in a situation to pay a little extra and buy from the BKA store but I just cant right now (college student)