News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

How do I get it on the spike?

Started by BKA, 24 June, 2011, 19:10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

This is usually the first trick that beginners start to have trouble with. Here is an excellent tutorial video from the dvd Kendama - First Tricks to Pro Clicks that shows you how:

Kendama DVD Extract - Spike! - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

LarsVegas

That's a nice video to show in detail how to do tomeken.

However, I opened the thread to see if there are any hints on how to "get around ..." on the spike. My hit rate for the spike is very low when I try to get around anywhere. Even "Around the village" (beginners trick ladder on EKO 2011) is a real problem. I always try to remember the knees but most of the time i stab the ball at places without a hole.

What is your trick? I try to get the ball in a position to see the hole a little bit, but often the ball will rotate when I throw it. And if I go further than the village (e.g. Around Japan), I can't control the position of the hole very well. I see people doing Around tricks so fast, it seems they can't have any time to check for the hole before catching the ball on the spike? Does throw height has anything to do with it?

Thanks for any hints, lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Quote from: LarsVegas on 29 August, 2011, 15:42:38
..most of the time i stab the ball...
This is the key. Don't stab. The ball must fall onto the spike, while the ken is being moved downwards.
Quote from: LarsVegas on 29 August, 2011, 15:42:38
I can't control the position of the hole very well.
This is also the key. And I'm afraid the answer here is an old one... practice! Practice throwing the ball from big cup to big cup, varying the position of the hole each time. Twist it a little. Then twist it a lot. Then twist it the other way. Etc. How much you twist your hand (and in which direction) during the throw controls the amount of spin on the ball between stages.
Then practice the big cup to spike throw (Around the Village), position the ken, then sink for the catch. Once Around the Village starts to become easier, then the other Arounds should begin to fall into place, using the same techniques.

PS Tutorials on Around Japan & Around the World are also on that DVD. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Nabil Sultani

For spike, I would have to say you need to focus on using your knees to pull the ball up instead of your arm. I know it doesn't really make sense but youll understand once you try it because it makes the dama go straight up. Also, keep your eyes on the string hole at the top of the ball and go directly underneath it. Hope I helped.

MrSquirrel

I taught myself the following technique for spike:
Hold the ken in a normal ken grip. Hold it completely horizontal. Make sure the tama is not moving or spinning at the bottom of the string. Bend your knees, and use your whole upper body instead of just your arm. Keep the ken horizontal until the tama is at its highest point, just as it is about to fall. Then, turn it so it is vertical, and try to get the spike right under the hole.
Hope this helped :)

br4d24

Think like a prostitute...

Kendama Pimp says MORE KNEES

I think all the good tips have been said so this is all i have to contribute  8)

Sqveel

mr squirrel (love that name) is preaching the truth about the spike there. He's saying exactly what i say to my non clicking friends when they wanna spike my kendama. It's far too tempting to flick up with the arm/elbow. I have to explain to people about lowering the whole structure just on a vertical plane, without any sideways wobble, then pulling up only with the knees action, keeping your forearm totally parallel to floor.

SAW

Hello,

Picked up my kendama over Xmas to get back into it but I'm even struggling with the basic spike stuff  :( I really can't get airplane down I've been on it most of the day, watched every YouTube video on it but it's just not clicking (no pun intended) and spike is also not happening although it's easier if I spin the ball.

Any tips ? Apart from just practice !

BKA

More knees.
If you've watched all the tutorials, then you should know what you're supposed to be doing. You need to work out exactly what is going wrong. We probably can't help you without knowing that.
Kendama Tutorial - 05 Spike! - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

SAW

I seem to over rotate no matter how slow, smooth or little swing I give it ?

shalafi

for spike the idea is to not give any swing at all, just straight up using the knees... as the video clearly explains.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

modraska

when i explain the technique for this to my schoolmates i always tell them to straight pull up and move with the ken when the string is the loosest.

Dimensions

What started to vastly improve my pull-up spike consistency, was to pull it up to around eye-level so you can see the hole. Then sink down and spike it.
And don't be defeatist, if you really can't do it try to get spinning spike consistent (spin the ball beforehand) this will give you the impression that you really can do it, and you just need to not do one small move

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Funny, for me what improved the consistency was to get the ball as low as my elbow and then put the spike under it when it is at the top.

The fact that requires much less hand movement is what improved my consistency there.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SAW

I can land it most times if I spin the ball.

But airplane I'm just finding impossible  :(