News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

New arrivals thread (pics) - what did you just get?

Started by The Void, 31 January, 2014, 14:28:35

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

I just got these 2 kendamas from Tiger.

They are very cheap, and I already had one of the small ones (the small green one will be the prize for KCC #31), but I wanted to try the normal size one to tell people if it is worth buying or not. So far is decent, it's not great but I don't think you can get better value for money. The string is quite terrible, but with a proper string it is a decent kendama, I did easily around europe, lighthouses and some earth turns and jumping sticks and it felt ok.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Sqveel

they do feel cheap, but you can't complain for 5 bucks :) Did yours come strung left handed? All the ones I bought did, and the way the pieces are forced together makes me wonder if it will ever be a kendama again if i take it apart to re-string em.

also are all tiny kendamas as unforgiving as those tiger ones? or is it just that it's sooo light and heap that it's impossible? Mine didn't come with a bead on the string, is that cos it's too dang small to get one on? I have been blaming my crappyness with it on the lack of a bead

shalafi

And today I got the Play Pro K from KCC #30

Looking good.

Sqveel

nngh, i want a play pro k soooo much.

are they as amazing as i imagine them to be?

shalafi

I've only played with  it for about an hour. It feels almost identical to the Play from 2014 (which is one of my favorite kendamas). Good balance, good weight, paint is slippery, as expected on a new kendama.

Maicodama

Got a few packages plus my BKA membership. Yes!

Instagrams
@project.ark
@maico.ps
@eurodama_

The Void

Glad it all got there okay. Hope you're having fun with it (them)!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

mlarinen

A somewhat belated Christmas present arrived today, two books (the third in the series was sold out), a krom holder, and a Krom Deluxe walnut/rubber wood.

The Void

Got these yesterday, managed to crack open the boxes today. Been a long wait! Excited to break 'em in....
(Log in to see attached file.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

I just got this. Now I can stop buying Kendamas for a long while.

PikWik

@shalafi YES

oh i love getting a new kendama. that moment when you open the post, un-veil the dama box, and stare at it for a minute...
"ooh, i wonder if its perfectly weighted? should i sell this, or keep it? what if the grain is completely unique?"

now, i am super picky about my kendamas, so weighing them is literally the FIRST thing i do. the whole thing comes apart and i weigh each piece. from experience, grain theory has the best weights on any kendama ive ever seen. no, i dont work for them, its just something ive noticed. my scale that i use to weigh kendamas goes down to the hundreth of a gram (0.01) so i can be sure that the reading is decent/accurate.

for a stock/standard kendama, ozoras have always been ~2g difference between each piece, with quite a few "dead-ons". 
GTs are hands down the best weighted kendamas and thats speaking from experience with - 

kaleb
ozora
shenzu
zen
homegrown (maple stripes are better balanced but the paduak and purple heart are heavier than maple)
aTack
sourmash
super sticky
kaizen
play
musou

so, with all of those i hand weighed each and either cringed at the read-out or jumped for joy at the perfect match.

all that said, the tama weighting compared to the ken isnt nearly as important as the sarado weighting compared to the sword.
if the sarado weighting is 5g or more than the swords weight, it WILL make lunars extremely difficult. not so much light houses, but lunars on a ken with a lighter sarado than the sword will be painstaking. trying to "correct" the imbalance is an extra step that makes many variations far more difficult.

companies like ozora, and grain theory, would not be weighing each piece if it wasnt important. it seems like some kendama companies who put them together just grabbed a random sword, a random sarado, dug around for a tama and just slapped a string on and called it 'done'. which is ridiculous when comparing this to another skill-toy (YoYo) that has an even higher demand for weights.

but, yeah. for the money, i feel like grain theory provides the best bang for your buck. those dudes are not just slapping parts together and selling janky KDs.

i would group musous in the perfect weighting category, but from this forum ive heard people complaining about the weights.
mine weighs (72.7g tama 77.4g ken) BUT, the sarado weighting is 37g, so it jams lunars just fine

i apologize for putting this archival post where no one will see it. but hopefully someone will gleem some information from this. and no offense to any KD companies that dont weigh their products. its just something ive noticed

shalafi

I just got a BKA hoodie. It is very cool. Actually no, it is quite warm :)

LarsVegas

I got this red junior sized kendama in January from Takaharu Mikami of Kyobashi Kendama Club, Osaka (thanks again). It has funny proportions and I haven't tried it much. Of course it's lighter than others but seems to play quite well.
He said it was a TK16 Junior, but I think I misunderstood that. Can anybody decipher the writing on the package?
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Leologic777

What it says is @LarsVegas

Top:
Hajimete no  kendama (big writing in red i bet you can easily understand how to read kendama in japanese.
A kendama for starters;your first kendama
Black and White paper:
belwo kendama\
asobikata gaido
how you you use it;how you would play it

I dont see any tk16's anywhere but i might be wrong if i wrote  something wrong anybody can correct me
Sorry i cant read what it says up in the top corner i can only read hiragana and katakana not kanji sorry.
Leo
Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months

BKA