News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

I did the BKA speed trick in 26 seconds this weekend, best time of the Spanish Convention, pity I just timed it for fun since I couldn't participate.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: Bad Wolf on 11 October, 2012, 09:24:33If I do a "downspike," and do an earthspin afterwards, is it called a "downspike-earthspin" ?

Anyhow, today I landed Around the USA.  All sara grip and downspikes.

Also, Void, after watching your tutorial on the Half-Swirl Aero, I actually landed the trick a few days ago.  I'm now experimenting with a few variations of my own.  Very stoked on the results so far!
We call those Stabs and Backhand Earth Turns (or Backhand Jumping Sticks, etc), from the Japanese name Tama Tsukisashi/Ball Stab/Stabbing Heaven (Shortened to "Stab" 'cos it's easier to say). I have to say I'm pretty bad at the Backhand stuff. It's something I need to work on. So many tricks, so little time!

Glad the 1/2 Swirl Tutorial was helpful for you. :) Show us your results when you film 'em!

Getting quicker, Shalafi! Although I think I'm going to phase out the STC (or that STC, at least) from competitions.... we'll see...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 11 October, 2012, 13:49:04
Getting quicker, Shalafi! Although I think I'm going to phase out the STC (or that STC, at least) from competitions.... we'll see...
I know, but it was part of the competition, so I just timed it because everyone was doing it :)
Still trying to manage STB under 2 minutes... unsuccessful so far.

shalafi

I got a quite consistent series of stabbing heaven going back (Jeffry style), much more consistent than last time I tried.

The earth turn stab is still not there... I've done it just a couple of times.

The Void

Today I got 10/10 Around the Cosmos for the first time in my 6th Dan practice. Not everything else is going to plan so well.... But at least nothing's red in KendamApp for now.
Yesterday my knee hurt, today it's my back. This is a stupid hobby anyway! :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Great Job Void! I am still struggling to get Around the Cosmos 2/10!

Ian F

....landed Slip Grip Special to Cliff-top.......just the once and not back again, at Durham Juggling Convention. Does it have a sexier name? thinking of getting a tattoo ;-)

BKA

Something like "Slip Grip over the valley"- you can decide on the sexiness thereof.
Nice one though.

Ian F

That'll do me! Now where's Sacred Arts?

kendamatty

Today I built a kendama bookcase then proceeded to nearly smash it to pieces in a handroll attempt with my alu KD. Danger in the living room..

shalafi

Trapeze acrobats -> stabbing heaven. I saw Jeff doing it in the SunRIse Edit 3 and I thought, I have to try it... easier than I expected but cool trick nevertheless

The Void

Ooh, I just tried that tonight[nb]So actually, it should be "Whirlpool Stab(..bing Heaven)".[/nb]. The first time I got it, I wasn't quick enough in my transition, so my Stab ended up "only" actually being a backhand spike. I tried again, and grabbed the ken a little earlier, and so managed to make it a proper Stab to finish with.

Actually Jeffrey does it twice in Sunrise 3: once in silhouette right at the start, and once at around 3m in. Slightly different technique each time. The first one is a Fast Hand variation, which is pretty damn neat....

Actually, after typing all that, I just realised that you might have meant "Do Trapeze Acrobats, and then (from the Base Cup position), do a Stab". But since you referenced Sunrise 3, you probably didn't.  But that does give another trick idea for people to play with. :)

mreasyguy

Finally got spacewalk handrolls under my belt! Was a trick that was bothering me for a while.

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 23 October, 2012, 21:37:04
Actually Jeffrey does it twice in Sunrise 3: once in silhouette right at the start, and once at around 3m in. Slightly different technique each time. The first one is a Fast Hand variation, which is pretty damn neat....

Actually, after typing all that, I just realised that you might have meant "Do Trapeze Acrobats, and then (from the Base Cup position), do a Stab". But since you referenced Sunrise 3, you probably didn't.  But that does give another trick idea for people to play with. :)
Yes, what I did wa stopping on the base cup, which he also does... He may do all the variations of that in the video anyway.
Trying it w/out sopping is what I was going to start trying now.

Do we call that Backhand stabbing heaven?

BKA

There's not a lot of difference between doing Stab trick so that it swooshes across or beside the body. I suppose if you needed to make a distinction you could say "Stab (back)" or "Stab (backhand)" for the beside the body version.  <shrug>