News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

European Kendama Open 2012

Started by BKA, 10 February, 2012, 16:33:23

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos. Mirek, I love your shots (and since you are in some of them, Lucia's!). I hereby appoint you official EKO photographer! ;) The one of Kristin and the fishing toy is brilliant.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

The Void

Quote from: The Void on 08 August, 2012, 17:05:06Time for an essay.... Are you ready?...

An early start, a long travel.....
I forgot something. At some point during the week, Jeffrey asked me what seemed like a slightly odd question: [With respect to me having been a juggler for many years...] "So, do you get disrespected by other jugglers now that you only do kendama?". (Question possibly arose from another "do some sections of the juggling community look down on others?" conversation.) I wasn't sure quite how to answer, as I don't really see things "working" like that. I answered something along the lines of "No, people know me as a person, and it doesn't  matter what prop I favour. Sometimes there will be the odd teasing joke about 'cup and ball', but there's no real malevolence behind it."

Anyway... The reason I bring this up is that a day or two after the competition, a friend of mine, Pieter, (who is predominantly a club juggler/passer, and does not play kendama) said to me "I saw the competition from the quarter finals onwards. Amazing! Some of those guys are as artistic as the top jugglers. And to do the tricks so solidly, time after time is really incredible!" [approximate quote], which was really nice to hear.

So, yeah, I think that qualifies as the opposite of disrespect, Jeffrey! :D
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 08 August, 2012, 17:05:06
Time for an essay.... Are you ready?...

CLICK CLICK!

Damn, I missed being on that photo. That would have been nice, because there doesn't seem to exist a sharp photo of the final stage of the competition ...
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BKA

Quote from: LarsVegas on 08 August, 2012, 23:26:05Damn, I missed being on that photo. That would have been nice, because there doesn't seem to exist a sharp photo of the final stage of the competition ...
No?

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 08 August, 2012, 22:35:26
Anyway... The reason I bring this up is that a day or two after the competition, a friend of mine, Pieter, (who is predominantly a club juggler/passer, and does not play kendama) said to me "I saw the competition from the quarter finals onwards. Amazing! Some of those guys are as artistic as the top jugglers. And to do the tricks so solidly, time after time is really incredible!" [approximate quote], which was really nice to hear.

So, yeah, I think that qualifies as the opposite of disrespect, Jeffrey! :D

That is interesting, I sort of had the impression of being a semi-isolated group and I was afraid of the same jokes as have been made about contact jugglers.

It seems that we are more open than I thought, and that other jugglers appreciate kendama. That's very good to hear.

Nice essay by the way.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

BKA

The Void

Igarashi-san has sent me some footage. It's a bit fiddly for me to edit, but here is the STC semis and Final:
EKO 2012 Speed Trick Challenge Semis & Final - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

BKA

The Kendama.dk crew has put together a nice video of the EKO Best Trick comp:

shalafi

Really cool video!

I agree on the best "single trick" given by the public (and we had a really hard time picking tricks) well, maybe not completely, but the crowd made its decision.

The fact that Shimadera-san and Tajima-san made at least 3 tricks each worth being in the final but we only put each person once made me feel like we should have given them some more credit... which I said so myself to them after the competition.

Anyway, there were amazing tricks.

KendAlex

yeah really good edit, nice to see it back.
especialy that i knew that i was not listed that best trick wit my best trick, and i think it was a pretty nice one.
but oke, i already reach my goal in the morning that day and that was what count for me the most of the whole trip.
THIRTH DAN Kendama.

ofcourse it was super great to meet all the players and chill out for the week.
I do hope everybody can come again next year in France

:)