News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

[user]emagdnim[/user], definitely something to feel good about.

[user]DamaLife24[/user] Sweet, love the family in the background glued to the TV missing the stompage!

[user]shalafi[/user] Alright! Retrace the motion and bag Stilt?

Got to grips finally with Inward Lunar today, was a question of changing kendama type to understand the weight - on a regular KROM, even a still-very slippery one, the ken seems to arc much better. Now I can switch back to lighter kens and land it with consistency. Best line yet: Inward Lunar>Lighthouse>540 In. Unfortunately, just tried to get this on film, but after half an hour it was still camera-shy. Oh well, not a bad day!

(Geeky note: the tama on my KROM isn't perfectly round, it seems, and any Inward Lunars caught with the ken pointing too far over six o'clock naturally swing beautifully, of their own volition, into Lunar Rover!)

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

DamaLife24

@the milky oolong. Right? There completely oblivious to the awesomeness that just happened less than 10 feet away.
Bryan Burnett

Kev

Today I (finally) landed the Broken Triangle > Sideways Aeroplane trick that [user]Void[/user] showed me at the BKO.

Nothing like hitting a new trick  :)

The Void

Nice one guys. Just got a few clicks in between the two poker games tonight. I got looks.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

You should be grateful; looks are more than [user]DamaLife24[/user] got. More Inward Lunar stuff today, bit of a setback, nothing too drastic. I think I'm going through a process of ironing out the completely false starts (high-lobs, false-twists, flops, etc), trying to find that perfect crux of tama and cup where it just glides to a surprisingly sturdy halt. For all those writing 'Inward Lunar' in the 'Kenfessions' thread, I have only one bit of advice yet concrete: it's a short pull and 'support' movement, the quicker the better - clean pull out with the big cup at NNE (NNW for me) and be there with the tama with a gentle push forward to cushion. As I'm still getting to grips I'll say no more than that. There's a very definite 'sweet spot' to this trick. Find it; I'm trying!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

Today I self-certified 1st Dan. Doing 4/10 Around the cosmos, which used to be my worst trick :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Yesterday I went to a yo-yo comp for the first time in a couple of years, at least. I triumphantly missed a couple of binds, and came 5th of 6 in the Trick Ladder division. (About par for me these days.) Good fun, and a few folks were having an unprovoked click.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Nice work [user]shalafi[/user] and good to hear of you showing some of your other skills [user]Void[/user].

Today I landed my first Half Swirl Aeroplane(s) largely thank to this thread: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,473.0.html - when you get them right it has a lovely flow / liquid feel.

The Void

I forgot to mention that my right knee decided it had had enough activity yesterday, so Today I....
did no kendama, just computer catch-up stuff. Maybe a little light clicking for the next kettle boil....

Dimensions

Today I landed my first Cat's cradle rocket
(1:10)

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, I C-Whip the spike then place 1/2 fingers in the base cup. I do it more like 2 separate movements, instead of  1 movement like in the video above

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

Today I landed my first Cat's cradle rocket.
....thanks to Rob's description of it and that video. Thanks Rob!  :D

Spent about10 minutes trying before I realised it was on a "2 finger"-strung kendama. I switched to a 3-finger one, and got in it in about 5 attempts.

happygoat

Today I had a blast of a session landing lots of 1-turn lunar -> lunar somersault - > to lighthouse -> lighthouse somersault -> trade spike

A nice combo to get down for me as I have struggled with somersaults of various kinds... still far from consistent

The Void

Nice one, Happy! Lunar Somersault seems to be a trick I can never be bothered to practice. Hence, I'm terrible at them. :)
Quote from: The Void on 12 May, 2014, 17:45:15
Today I landed my first Cat's cradle rocket.
I got a couple more too. One whilst sitting down.

Misterwhang

I landed my first 1-turn lunar!!!!!!

Kev