News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Windmill can also be written as 風車, and a search on kendama.asia throws up a few tricks that use that in their name.... However, they all seem to be variations on what we call Gunslinger or Whirlwind (Pesky inconsistency!). So I suppose we can use Windmill.
So then I'd call your trick Windmill Swing In.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

JamesFM

Quote from: The Void on 28 March, 2013, 21:06:47
So then I'd call your trick Windmill Swing In.

Sounds perfect.

The Void

Quote from: The Void on 28 March, 2013, 11:52:52Well done for discovering your own trick. It has definitely been done before... by me! (Not on video tho'). I usually do it to finish on the Base Cup (easier!), but I have done it to Spike once or twice.
I was having a quick play with this trick last night, and I now think that I was wrong, and I have only ever done it to Base Cup. So, sorry for making a false claim, and yeah, Windmill Swing In is your trick, as far as I know, James.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

br4d24

Whats the last two tricks called?

BKA

It has been mentioned somewhere before, a while ago, but sometimes it makes more sense to "name" a trick by using descriptive elements. So
Pinwheel 1-Turn Aeroplane (or is it 1-Turn Pinwheel Aeroplane?)
&
Around The Triangle (with reverse swing exit)
...seem like the best candidates.

BKA

^
|
|

7000th post on the forum. Coo.

br4d24

Thanks! Ive always wanted to know the name of them!

NJKendama

I'm not sure what it's called, but it's been gaining tons of popularity. It's like a horizontal spinning spacewalk of sorts, if that makes any sense. Here's a video for the trick: It happens at about 1:10 with the aluminum kendama. Anyone know what it's called or how you do it? Thanks! And sorry if I did something wrong, this is my first ever post on here.
Check out my YouTube channel for all of my kendama videos! Thank you so much!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNbUN5CuohYezhzRXgNWl0Q?feature=watch

BKA

Hi NJ, welcome to the forum.

That trick is called a Rotary Swing. It's pretty simple, but visually very effective. Pinch the string in the middle as you swing the ball out, then push the ken so that it matches the rotational speed of the ball.

NJKendama

Thanks! I think I'm getting the hang of it.

NJKendama

This trick looks amazing, but I have no idea how to do it. I've tried it but with no success. Here it is, it happens at 2:01 in this video:

He spins the ken around his finger with the tama on big cup the entire way through. Any ideas on how to land it? Thanks!

The Void

Since you've posted that in the What's That Called thread, I'll say it's a
Wrapped Big Cup Whirlpool-> Swap Hand Moon Landing

As to how to do it, I'll answer that where you asked it in in the video's thread here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1201.msg8990.html#msg8990

Misterwhang

What is the trick called where you start out with doing an airplane then after landing it you flick the ken straight up (spike stays facing down), and while it travels up it spins like a helicopter or drill and then comes back down and lands right back in the tama hole

Misterwhang

Jeez I just found it in a past post, my fault

BKA

Drill, as seen in KendamApp and Knees.
Oh, you found it... :-)