News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

New colours: Oozora kendama

Started by BKA, 14 July, 2011, 15:18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

The JKA have just announced some new colours for the Oozora range. Presumably these replace the existing range (We know the light blue has already stopped production).

From the google translation: "The technique is easy to do a variety of Kendama well-balanced.". We heard a rumour recently which suggests this might be a new paint finish, slightly grippier.

Red, blue, yellow & grain. Expect to see them filtering in to your local supplier before too long.

AlexSmith

Saw a post about this a couple weeks ago on Facebook, I think someone snagged this photo from one of the Asian kendama forums.
Saying I'm excited to get my hands on a yellow oozora would be an understatement...

ALSO! This new line uses a different paint which is approved for use in N America. What this may mean is that websites (maybe even retail stores?) may be able to purchase oozoras straight from Yamagta Kobou. This may result in lowered prices (consider that in Japan damas cost between $10-15, as opposed to $25).

Greg the Strangler

I don't know why we needed "new" colors. Everyone loved the green and the Sky Blue was a best seller everywhere! We all shred them here in the SF Bay Area.
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

Harrydh3

green, sky blue and pink were limited edition. I think. Or just not in production anymore...
i think i heard somwhere it was because they werent selling enough.
never the less they arent being made anymore.
they are simply now making a yellow.

AlexSmith

They weren't limited edition, they just stopped production for the new colours.

The old oozora paint was not approved for use in children's toys in N America. The new paint apparently is (which, like I said, will perhaps allow online companies to remove the middle man and thus lower prices).

sunnyD

On the paint finish oozora factory has confirmed that new models have more gloss and more grip. The JKA relaxed their opinions a little apparently after Japanese players requested a paint finish with more grip to allow the sport to progress at the highest level. That doesn't make it much easier for us mere mortals but is a move in the right direction. We should have them to bring to Munich and will be reporting back to the factory on the reactions in Europe.

The biggest middle man in the oozora story is the EMS postman charging maybe $250 for a 20kg box. Add local taxes of 7-20% and bingo, $20.
It is a complete mystery to me as to how Japanese shops can sell quality kendama at such a low price. Anyone know how?

John

It looks like you'll still be able to get the baby blues for awhile, kendama-world alone still has over 100 of them in stock. The pinks and greens seem to have almost vanished completely, you can still get them from goodsfromjapan but at $30 a piece they're "chotto takai" as the Japanese would say...

Damadude

With some luck we will have a couple of them at the EJC in Munich to try them out.
Join the community @ www.facebook.com/KendamaAroundTheWorld

Buy kendama @ www.kendama.de

John

http://www.kendama.cz/ still has all the old colours in stock too, priced at a not unreasonable €23 if you want to get your hands on one before they disappear completely. I grabbed a green one yesterday...

Damadude

Even cheaper at Kendama Europe:
All Ôzora colours are available at € 18.75 at http://kendama.de/play_kendama/index.php?cPath=14
Join the community @ www.facebook.com/KendamaAroundTheWorld

Buy kendama @ www.kendama.de

Greg the Strangler

That red looks dark. Has anything been said about its hue? I would love a "wine" Oozora, but the picture on goodsfromjapan.com looks like a normal red.
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

AlexSmith

Goodsfromjapan.com has the new oozoras stocked. Ordered one a day or two ago (guess which color :p)

John

Make sure you let us know how it plays when you get it, Alex. Can't wait to try one of these badboys when they filter into a slightly cheaper shop, ha!

John.

AlexSmith

After shipping (to western Canada) they came to about $26 each I think.
Being in N America is kinda nice for buying kendamas. Can get decent shipping rates from the online shops in Europe and Asia. The most I've paid for shipping was probably from iPure... But they had rokurosens and metallic ooz so I went for it anyways.
Actually when we bought 4 Sweets Focus damas we were charged $30 in shipping. That was ridiculous

Thorny

I was expecting a yellow one today but it doesn't look like it's going to be delivered today!
Tomorrow I guess it'll be then ¬_¬