News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Any tips or advice on Juggling between ken and tama.

Started by Buddhaprice, 30 January, 2013, 18:56:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddhaprice

So I am seeing a lot of people juggling between ken and tama and finishing it with a light house or a clean spike. I myself am having difficulty repeating the process mid air. I can throw up the tama using a ken grip then switch mid air to tama back to ken and complete a solid spike but what anatomy is used and any advice that works best for accomplishing many repetitions like i am seeing some players complete ???

The Void

Shalafi pointed out to me in Poland that for the "Big Cup Juggle" trick, (see the Advanced list/vid on http://www.kendama.co.uk/bko2013.html) you need to use your knees for the first and last part, but keep your legs straight for the juggling bit in the middle. That helped me quite a bit.

As for the throws and catches part, obviously, you need to keep the throws at lower-than-string-length height. That about hits the limit of my experiential knowledge of these tricks, but I would imagine that trying to focus on the grip position as you catch, and the precise amount of spin/height/speed at the release would help. It's probably also worth practising with a stringless kendama to start with, so you can use higher throws, thus effectively slowing the whole trick down. Once it feels okay stringless, restring and speed up for the lower throws.

It would be good to hear more from someone more comfortable with this style of tricks.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Buddhaprice

thank you Void ! You share some great ideas. I'm going to practice stringless for a while  and focus on form and catch position see how that goes. Thank you for your reply 

shalafi

if you have sine basic juggling skills which includes 2 in one hand, this should not be that hard.

To me the main problem is timing. I usually throw the ken too son, it is better to hold it a bit longer and throw it when the tama is already going down.

And the trick of not using your knees in the middle throw (because it shortens the string length a lot)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.