News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

A forum game of "KEN"

Started by Dimensions, 02 September, 2013, 15:52:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

Yesterday I was introduce to a rather well known game called "Ken"(?) where someone has one attempt at a trick and if they do it everyone else has 2 attempts to complete the same trick - if they miss they get a letter (first K then E then N - you can continue until you get the word KENDAMA) when you get all your letters your out.

I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if we do a forum game - but instead of 2 attempts a chosen time period

I don't want to go in to full detail of my idea but would anybody be interested in playing (if it goes ahead)

Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

I imagine that would be very tricky to implement. If it was done by uploads, then there would be nothing to stop someone filming multiple attempts until they hit the trick. Perhaps you have ideas of how to avoid this. Plenty of people play KEN via Skype though - that way you at least know your opponent is live. Group video chats? Maybe...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

I was thinking of here's a trick complete it within X hours
It is just an idea

br4d24

if you guys have facebook add me and we can do some online ken games :D

brad footwerk reeves

primechicken

I think if you want to play a forum game of KEN you would have to allow people multiple tries, they would just have a time limit instead. I've seen a forum game of SKATE for snowskating work before.

Basically the game would usually focus on very difficult bangers than simple trick consistency because theres not really a way of stopping multiple tries like Void said.

Heres kinda how it would go: say I would set the first trick with an upload and a "proof word' in my clip to show that I had not saved the clip from before.

eg.) triple lunar flip-in and after I land the trick i look into the camera and say "apple"

from there all players have set time (say 48 hours) to film and upload the trick including the "proof word" (apple) in the clip.

All players that failed the trick or failed to upload a clip would get a letter.
Someone would probably have to judge landings and set up all the other logistics for the game but it could definitely work!

Dimensions

[user]primechicken[/user] that is definitely the way to go!
Will anybody want to play?

BKA

It could work. I suggest that instead of asking "will anyone play?", the way to find out is to start a new thread called "Forum game of K.E.N. - who's in?" or something like that.

In the first post, state the rules as per what primechicken wrote (with any ammendments you think necessary), and say "sign up before [date, time (GMT)] to take part." and "Game starts on [date, time (GMT)". I suggest allowing at least a couple of hours between the signup deadline and the start time, which will allow you to decide a codeword, a playing order, etc.

If people sign up, off you go. If not, then there's your answer.

Yoda

We have played such a game on our polish forum (kendama.com.pl) and it was preety fun. I'm in ;)
KENDAMA.COM.PL- POLISH KENDAMA COMMUNITY

BrandonYoder

figured i should post my questions in here instead of on the game thread.

Do we set a new keyword every time a trick is set, or is it always play?
Also...how do we decide who goes next?

The Void

Quote from: BrandonYoder on 16 September, 2013, 01:26:58Do we set a new keyword every time a trick is set, or is it always play?
Also...how do we decide who goes next?
I'm not playing, and it's for Dimensions to set the rules, but for the order, I would suggest either:
Order in which players signed up to join the game, or random order. (As an impartial non-player, I will pick a random order for you if Dimensions would like me to.)

As for the keyword.... I would guess that it could stay as Play, since its unlikely that anyone would be building up a video arsenal of tricks in the hope that one of them might be chosen in this game!? But again, it's for Dimensions to say, perhaps he has different ideas.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

I was thinking of setting a different key word but maybe to simplify thing a bit "play" will stay as the key word
The order will go
[user]dimensions[/user][user]brandonyoder[/user][user]yoda[/user][user]jackmcclosey[/user] then finally [user]blady[/user] then over and over

P.s after we have finished the game of ken - I have been thinking of setting up a forum game if last man standing - maybe with a prize

primechicken

Quote from: Dimensions on 16 September, 2013, 16:14:35
I was thinking of setting a different key word but maybe to simplify thing a bit "play" will stay as the key word
The order will go
[user]dimensions[/user][user]brandonyoder[/user][user]yoda[/user][user]jackmcclosey[/user] then finally [user]blady[/user] then over and over

P.s after we have finished the game of ken - I have been thinking of setting up a forum game if last man standing - maybe with a prize

I know I'm not playing, but I just thought of why it might be good to switch up the codeword. It might be good for a third party to make the codeword at the start of each round. The reason for this is to give everyone the same time for their trick. Right now, one of the players could film their trick way before their turn to set the trick.

eg.) Say player X is the last player to set the trick. He could start filming his trick early and because the codeword is the same, player X could have extra time to film his trick, while the other players only have 3 days to land the trick he set.

Having a new codeword each round just allows all players equal time to set their own, and complete other players tricks in the game. Just my thoughts though,

Cheers and have fun.