News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Mugen Musou tip question - like to Mod my Ken

Started by ilegales, 01 February, 2016, 23:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ilegales

Hi

I would like to find out about the tip on a Mugen Musou as i am thinking of replacing my ozora spike with a mugen replacement tip

- On the mugen when the coloured tip is taken off and there is the screw coming from the ken
Can that screw be taken out ? if yes
can someone tell me how long exactly is that screw both width, length and diameter please

if i know that info i can then try and get an similar screw to put into my ozora as i would like to take the tips off in the exact same way as the musou..
right now i dont have any mugen tips

Lastly how much less impact do the mugen tips make in comparison to a normal ken with super glue on the spike point
the mugen tips are plastic with a slight smoother tip point which should mean less damage to the dama...
but your thought on that please

thanks

The Void

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
My Musou is the all-wood original, so I can't help, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will be along to help you out soon.
Ciao.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KenSan

Hi @ilegales Here are a couple of pictures of my musou with a tk16 that I modified once the spike got beat.
It looks like a 2mm stud in the musou which is also what I used in the tk. I inserted the stud about 8-10mm into the shaft of the tk and my guess would be its similar in the musou. The stud wont come out of my musou and I'm not going to try and force it out!

I actually never use the musou ::) so don't know about durability and impact, but I suspect its similar to wood maybe a little less so as it seems to be made from some form of highly compressed rubber.

I haven't measured, but looking at the photos it looks like the musou spike is a smaller diameter than the tk, and the tk diameter is very similar to the ozora diameter so you might have problems with a flush fitting if you use musou tips on your oz!

Also another problem is getting the stud dead center in your ozora shaft. If its off your tips wont be flush.

Also, I personally wont be doing this again to a kendama, just because getting it on center was a pain (and mine was slightly off), and once I'd dropped a spacewalk and it landed on the spike it split the shaft so I had to glue it all together again and now it doesn't come apart anyway  ;D
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

KenSan

Oh yeah and the tip I made was machined from a plastic called PEEK which is and electrical insulator material used in the connector industry. Its a good insulator and is very hard. I also machined some tips from brass and aluminum but never used them.

ilegales

Thanks Kensan for that very informative reply

very interesting to note about the diameter of the Ken shaft end compared with other models

so what i believe will be the next step is to get the measurement in mm of the diameter of the Mugen tip..
then i can evaluate how well this could be replicated onto the ozora...
just measured my ozora shaft end and its 9.5mm -10mm
if someone could measure the Mugen Tip diameter that would be great

when you modified your TK did you find an headless screw or you just cut the heads off some 2mm screws

shalafi

Just a point in durability. They get dented, but not too much, but the real point is that they are much less aggressive towards the tama
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

KenSan

Measured my musou replacement tip and its 9.5-10mm so it looks good for fitting on the ozora. You could probably sand and discrepancy out anyway.

I used a grub screw (a screw without a head) but you could cut the end off a regular screw.

Anyway hope that helps. Be sure to post some picks if it's a success. Also searc Google as I found a Reddit on this subject a while back!

ilegales

thanks thats good news about the same size of shaft

so i have ordered today the Musou tips from Gloken

i forgot to ask about the size of the grub screw on the Mugen
what is the length of the grub screw in the mugen - from the tip of the screw to the top of the wood shaft
the part of the screw what is visible... in mm please..
as seen in the photo enclosed

i did see a youtube video of a tip mod and the fellow says that the grub screw needed is 3mm -
in your original post you mentioned you used a 2mm...
as i have seen grub screws in the following sizes 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm

KenSan

@ilegales I can't remember what the grub screw I used was but thinking about it it was probably 3mm. Anyway the musou screw is 3mm and is 6.5-7mm long. Hope this helps.

KenSan

When you get the tips take them to a store and double check the ones your going to buy fit.

ilegales

thanks KenSan for the measurements

so i did a quick test today using a thick colouring pencil what i found which is also 10mm wide on the shaft
i used a Jigsaw to cleanly cut the top. slight sand down and looks ok..
also drilled into the pencil to get some practise..

i am thinking about these grub screws with the cone ends as it will eat into the wood more than the rounded end grub screws..
will get the 3mm width with 20mm length screws

KenSan

@ilegales Length sounds good and yeah they look like they will do the job. Good luck!

PikWik

the actual process of attaching the tip is fairly straight forward. the problem i ran into was that the tips are too expensive.
however, there is a guy on the FKC who had a ton of clear/white plastic tips made , but no idea on the price or if theyre still available.

but imo, the low cost of a kendama would make the tip replacement obsolete. as others have said, a missed 2-turn spacewalk over concrete, musou or not, is going to thrash a tip.
i would consider tip-modding only if the kendama is one of a kind. but then again, i wouldnt be throwing a $200 kendama over rocks...

super glue works just fine for me. and the type of wood also plays a big part in how fast the tip grinds down.
beechwood is just too fragile. ash and maple are far more forgiving.

just my 2 cents  :-[

ilegales

Musou Tips arrived today  :)

Wanted to say big Thanks especially to KenSan

I did a video to show how i placed the mugen tips onto other brand of Kendama

Here are 4 Kendamas with the new Mugen tips

KenSan

Good job ilegales. Had a quick look at your youtube video and you go into some good detail. Your right about the 2mm drill for 3mm screw too. The 3mm drill will have a .5mm pitch thread so just the job!