News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama mentioned in BBC podcast

Started by The Void, 13 December, 2017, 15:16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

I haven't listened to this yet, but the description mentions kendama:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05qq8y9
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Listened!
Skip to 31:50 for the interview about yo-yo (and then kendama). Nothing groundbreakingly interesting for a pre-converted kendama nut, but it's great to hear them being talked about to a wider audience.... by none other than this very forum's @spadgy ! Well done Will.

I also enjoyed the interview at 15:45 about "100 video games that never were": "First Person Shooter" made me lol.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

spadgy

Oh yeah - that was me! I think I've said here before - I work as a video game journalist. I'm a little well known in the UK video game industry for my enthusiastic sharing of hobbies. Among the many places I write for, I write for a family-targeted games site, so thus my appearance on the show. 'And that show's very lovely host Adam said before we went on air: 'if you're talking about family friendly video games for Christmas, why not mention board games and yo-yo?'. He then forgot to ask me about board games (another obsession of mine) but did bring up yo-yos. I was a bit nervous on air, and when I get nervous I waffle - and so out came a mention of kendama! I'm glad I did, though... in seriousness, I do think in terms of a skill toy for Christmas, Kendama maybe does trump unresponsive yo-yo, just in terms of being more accessible, more affordable, and a bit more distinct as a gift.

As far as I know the show went out on the actual Radio (BBC 5 Live) in a shorter form, and then that podcast is the full cut.

Glad to help expose kendama to the masses!