News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Wolf

I see it done often but have no idea what it is called. I describe it as Inward-Mini suicide. As the name suggests its mini suicide starting with tama grip, and thrown so that the ken travels in between your hand and your body.

Can anyone clarify for my please?

The Void

Sounds right, although I'm not sure if I'm missing some elements of the trick you're referring to. If it is only... Start from ball grip, with ken hanging, swing the ken up and in towards you, then release the ball and catch the ken, then yes.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Bad Wolf

Perfect! Thanks Void. Usually I would just do an aeroplane catch but I've recently managed to do fast hand spikes.

My goal now is to fast hand whirlwind spike ;)

the milky oolong

Is there a name for scoop-style tricks where the tama is carried using centrifugal force alone (for example, tama starting in base cup, taken in a sweeping circle across the body, ending in same position only now 'penguin' style)? Theoretically the same as making a glass tumbler do a flip without the water coming out, only in kendama terms.

Any ideas?

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

遠心力/Enshinryoku/Centrifugal force is the Japanese name for the Big Cup version[nb]#7 on http://kendama.co.uk/100tricks.html[/nb]. (Perhaps "Centrifuge" would work as a quicker-to-say name.)

mimlemium

Hello I need your help to name that trick i just did and recorded ;) Hope you enjoy it!

Btw. I'm from Poland :)

BKA

Hello, welcome to the forum.
Your trick is:
Turntable>Whirlwind>Turntable>Spike.

Nice combination!

mimlemium

Hello! I'm so glad that I can be a part of this forum. Thanks for help a lot. Soon I will upload more of mine videos :)

the milky oolong

Have accidentally just started doing a rather odd Big Cup (sara grip?) Swap trick where the ken is caught á la Rotor Blade/UFO, though it is only rotating 180 degrees. I uploaded a youtube video, but my webcam is so terrible I have to set it at the lowest resolution just to be able to demonstrate what I mean. Anyone any ideas what you would call it?

Kendama Berlin

BKA

Since you are finishing with an Aeroplane catch, and since your hand switched from Ken to Ball, we'd go for
Fast Hand Aeroplane.
Or perhaps
Big Cup>Fast Hand Aeroplane or Big Cup>Aeroplane.
Either of those last two would probably get the message across to someone who wanted to copy what you'd done without having seen it.

Nicely done, btw. :) Now.... go and work out how you can do the same trick frontstyle! (Straight in front of you instead of sideways to your body.)

the milky oolong

Thanks for the help!

I've been messing around with it for some time and there's something satisfying about it, especially when it's caught exactly horizontally. If I had a better way of recording it I'd show some variations, i.e. with Stopover, has a real flow it it, but the quality is too bad. For me it's an Oolongated Rotor, but I doubt the BKA will go for that  ;)

As for the frontal, that's a good idea, am giving it a go right now.
Kendama Berlin

SamB

Ooh I've been trying something similar - Around the aeroplane - Big cup -> aeroplane -> Small cup Aeroplane -> Base cup -> Aeroplane
It's trickier than I thought it would be.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Cliffdama

Don't know if there is a name for it.

I'm holding my ken upside down at the base cup. Pull de ball up. Land it on the side of the small cup and against the ken. Next i trow it up the base cup and then spike. Did it twice in a row. I like it! If it's not clear i try to post a video of it :)

BKA

Sounds like Bat>Base Cup>(Backhand?) Spike. Don't think there's a specific name for that combo.

Kens

The trick he does from 1:25 - 1:28, are those also called spacewalks or is there another name for it. I've always been confused about it.