News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

British Kendama Open 2012

Started by BKA, 31 October, 2011, 14:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

That's very strange - I checked it last night, and it was working then (after the fix). But you're right, it was broken again. Thanks. I have just re-created a duplicate of the page and uploaded that. It appears to be working from here. (Please clear your browser caches and try again).
If anyone's still having problems, please say so.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mirek

BKA

Quote from: GbH on 14 November, 2011, 18:02:22Any chance of replacing Swing To Pinky with something that's accessible to those of us with big fingers?
Players who feel they have "fat fingers" will be allowed to opt out of this trick, if they do so immediately it is drawn. It will then be laid aside for the remainder of that battle, and a new trick drawn.

GbH

OK, that seems fair enough.  My finger fits into the bevel, by not into the main shaft.  I've never once managed to get the tama to stay on the pinky, even though it lands in the right place.  I think it's the only trick on the list that I've never managed to do, which, considering it's a first round trick, does suggest a real problem.

Thanks for coming up with a work-around.

DrJochum

Nice change of tricks!

But I do not understand why "Pull-up Whirlwind" and Bat are in the early rounds while Jumping Stick is in the quarterfinals.

In my opinion it should be the other way round.
To put it in another way I think that Jumping Stick is easier than Pull-up Whirlwind or Bat.
Body and mind - Kendama and Shogi

The Void

You'd better start practising then! :)

Maybe you're right, but it's not possible to set a list that will please everyone. And now it's set, so that's the way it is.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way. (Introduce yourself?)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Mirek

Are you going to use the same machine to pick up the trick as last time? Bat is the same number so I will train it the most for sure  8)

BKA

No, we have numbers drawn from a bag now.  :)

Peter

Quote from: DrJochum on 18 November, 2011, 12:23:20
Nice change of tricks!

But I do not understand why "Pull up Whirlwind" and Bat are in the early rounds while Jumping Stick is in the quarterfinals.

In my opinion it should be the other way round.
To put it in another way I think that Jumping Stick is easier than Pull up Whirlwind or Bat.

Hi Champ,

I learned the "Big Cup, half Whirlwind, Small Cup" in 2 hours at Lin. You remember, how many months we needed for the Toudai? Just do it! 5 months for BKO, and let me guess, this list might be the same for Lublin, EKO 2012, right?

BTW, I trained half an hour "Suicide Swing in" today, and caught it about 12 times... @Elliott: less movements of the arm while throwing, catching the ken more upwards, at the end snatching a bit for getting the spin into the ball, right? ...  I am working on it ;-)

BKA

Quote from: BKA on 17 November, 2011, 13:46:58
Quote from: GbH on 14 November, 2011, 18:02:22Any chance of replacing Swing To Pinky with something that's accessible to those of us with big fingers?
Players who feel they have "fat fingers" will be allowed to opt out of this trick, if they do so immediately it is drawn. It will then be laid aside for the remainder of that battle, and a new trick drawn.
To clarify: Any player who wishes to opt-out must demonstrate their finger-fatness. (If the widest part of the pad of the finger is visible below the ball, that's an official fat finger.)

Also, modification clarifications have been added to http://kendama.co.uk/approved.html

Toby

I really wish I knew about the knot to stop the bead coming out sooner! Never thought about doing that...
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

SamB

Quote from: Toby on 09 December, 2011, 17:13:50
I really wish I knew about the knot to stop the bead coming out sooner! Never thought about doing that...
Me too. However I've now learned most tama grip tricks with me fourth finger just touching the string, keeps the bead in and gives a little exta pop with 1-turn whatevers. Is this allowed? I imagine it's frowned upon in Japan. :P
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

kendamajohnny

are JKA recommended kendamas allowed?

Toby

Of course, that's not a problem! In fact a would say a majority of people will be using a JKA kendama.
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

The Void

JKA "competition approved" kendamas are allowed, JKA "recommended product" kendamas are not. So a seal like this one:

in gold/teal/midnight blue/green/yellow/black is okay, but one with a seal like this (note the different lettering on the border) is not.:

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!