News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Video Equipment. Cameras, editing software. . . What do you use?

Started by azleonhart, 29 August, 2014, 07:46:30

Previous topic - Next topic

azleonhart

I'm quite sure nearly all of us had shot a video of ourselves (or even others) shredding kendama.
Some even make great edits/videos/movies such as Colin Sander and (this is not a kendama player, but his yoyo videos are awesome) Piotrek Smietana.
What i would like to know is what equipment do you guys use?

Do list your:
1. Main camera (and secondary camera if available):
2. Microphone and lenses:
3. Tripods/mounts/gimbals (if any):
4. Editing software:
5. What you'd like to upgrade to and why:
What the trick?

azleonhart

I'll start the ball rolling.

1. Main camera: iPhone 4s
2. Microphone and lenses: Built-in mic and Olloclip lens
3. Tripods/mounts/gimbals (if any): the Glif mount and a 5" tripod
4. Editing software: iMovie
5. What you'd like to upgrade to and why: don't know yet.
What the trick?

shalafi

1. I mostly use my Nexus 5, the front camera is HD and I can see myself on the phone, so it's quite handy.
2. Whatever is built in
3. I have one "octopus" tripod, very happy with it.
4. Nowadays I edit with iMovie, but previously I was using OpenShot for Linux and it's a pretty decent free program.
5. I want to get a 60fps camera eventually to do proper slow motion videos.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

mreasyguy

1: Go Pro HD Hero 3 Black.
2: Built in.
3: Gorillapod and full size tripod, Best of both worlds then.
4: Adobe Premier Pro CS5 (got used to it through my college years so I stick to what I know).
5: Batteries and Micro SD cards, the camera uses up batteries so quick, I already have 3 spare ones but some days even that is not enough!

Buttkraken

1. panasonic hdc sd900 and a denver act-5001
2. just the standard built in.
3. nothing :P
4. Sony vegas pro 13
5. i would love to get a tri pod, and a head mount for my denver act-5001

Dimensions

1) GoPro Hero 3+ silver edition ion with LCD BacPac
2) built in - but personally I don't see much point in using an external microphone for a kendama edit. But I can understand it for a documentary or a tutorial, as it shows what it should sound like. If that makes any sense
3) I own a budget standard sized tripod, an un-branded mini-tripod, an unbranded monopod and a Joby Gorrillapod. But it depends on where I'm filming or what kind of shot I want.
4) Cyberlink Powerdirector 11
5) a steadycam would be nice when I'm filming other people. And if I could, I would upgrade to a GPro 3+ black edition and film in 4K, some spare batteries for my camera would be useful too!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

1. Main camera (and secondary camera if available):
Sony HDR FX-1, with an iPad or Samsung WB250F as point-and-shoot lazy mode options
2. Microphone and lenses:
Built in, or Røde mono mic
3. Tripods/mounts/gimbals (if any):
Manfrotto tripod
4. Editing software:
Final Cut Pro 7
5. What you'd like to upgrade to and why:
The FX1 is great, but bulky. An SLR with full HD shooting would be cool, as long as it didn't have a time limit on the recording, which seems quite common.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

PikWik

1. canon 60D, camera phone (galaxy s3, iphone)
2. marantz field recorder with stereo mic, built in
3. tripod is essential for the canon. but, with the camera on my phone, i just find a spot it rests comfortably.
4. FCP X
5. no upgrades for me. i just need to actually film and get better at playing  :)

Kev

With so many people making kendama videos with such a huge range in quality of filming, I want to start a thread where people can post their video / film / editing setup so others can compare and contrast what can be done on various devices and with various software etc.

As a starting point please list your setup along these lines, feel free to add categories too:

Example ->

Camera: iPhone 4s
Editing: iMovie
Other: I also use the FiLMiC Pro App and desk lamp for extra lighting in low light.

Then, if possible, maybe you could post a link to a video shot with the setup you use too?

We already have an excellent thread on making good videos here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=44.0 , so let's keep this thread on the purely practical / gear side of things.

So, what do you use?

The Void

Whatever equipment you use, here's the most important bit:

The Manual.

Read it, learn how to use all the features/options of your equipment, and your videos will be better. :)

(I'll post my list later.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

azleonhart

Quote from: Kev on 22 March, 2015, 12:01:34

So, what do you use?

Oh, you can check out this thread as well!
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1968.msg15897.html#msg15897

[Mod Edit: Threads merged. They are slightly different questions/surveys, but close enough to be in the same place.]
What the trick?

The Void

Cameras:
Canon MVX20i (retired) (records SD 25i 576)1
Sony HDR FX-1 (records 25i 1080 HDV) 2
iPad (records 29.97fps 720p) 3
Samsung WB250F (records 29.97fps 1080p) 4
iPhone 4 (just got it, not used it yet) (records 29.97fps 720p)

Software:
Final Cut Pro 7: Used for all but the simplest videos. NLE timeline, effects, titles and audio editing.
JES deinterlacer: Simple deinterlacing, doubling duration of FX1 shots for smooth slomo, standards conversion (into Apple Intermediate Codec when editing mixed-source footage)
Quicktime 7: Simple cut-and-paste assemblage of multiple clips of the same format.
MPEG Streamclip: For compression to mp4. Saves huge amounts of file size, and therefore upload- and conversion times to video hosting sites.
Filmic Pro for iPad/iPhone: Adds more/better options to the standard iOS camera ones.

Accessories:
Røde mono mic for the FX1.
Manfrotto tripod
Mini "gorilla"-style tripod
YongNuo LED floodlight: Eats batteries, but very effective.
The sun
Walls/window ledges/chairs/shed roofs/etc

Videos shot with the above:
1 Kendama Jive http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,322.0.html
2 Life's Little Iron Knees http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1171.0.html
3 Still Seeking Six http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1736.0.html
4 Finn DYKO http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1887.0.html

Kev

Great comprehensive post Void, that's the kind of thing that's really useful to others, thank you.

Sorry @azleonhart I hadn't seen your thread from before - glad they're merged now, kind of a mega-bump!

azleonhart

@Kev ah no, don't worry about it! Time for me to update my rig, anyway.

Primary setup: iPhone 6 128GB
- Mostly used for trick videos, short movies and tutorials.
- Records up to 2K (with FiLMiC Pro); slo-mo goes up to 240fps.

Recording apps: FiLMiC Pro (2K!), Hyperlapse (great stabilization coding), Camera app (for normal or IG videos), Spark (for recording and combining snippets)
Editing apps: iMovie, Slow Fast Slow, InstaSizeVideo
Hardware: $20 tripod, Glif adjustable tripod mount, Olympus ME-51SW microphone

Secondary setup: iPhone 4s, 16GB
- Used for long videos, and Hyperlapses, and videos where i'll only post them on IG.
- Records up to 1080p; no slo-mo.
- Same software as iPhone 6
- Olloclip lens for iPhone 4/4s, $20 tripod, Glif for iPhone 4/4s tripod mount, Olympus ME-51SW microphone

Computer software: FCPX, iMovie, Handbrake (to convert videos if needed)

To be acquired in the future:
- GoPro Hero 3+ or 4 (for the head-view tricks)
- 1 or 2TB Seagate Wireless HDD (does wonders when you're out on-site and your phone is running out of space)
- Manfrotto Compact Action tripod
- Røde shotgun mic
- Olloclip lens for iPhone 6/6+
- Beastgrip mount (to be fitted with my old SLR lenses or compatible lenses)
- Floodlight
What the trick?