News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

LarsVegas

Today I landed my first 1-turn lighthouse - the catch was very very low above the ground but I could get up and hold it steadily for long enough. I also landed my first aeroplane -> half turn to lighthouse combo. Great evening :)
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Waylon

Just memorizing a 57 move sequence would be challenge enough.

Today, I began to grasp some fundamental concepts, such as tama rotation control and keeping the string out of the cups. I gained a deal of consistency on a few basic tricks and began hitting spikes clean with a satisfying "clack".

JamesFM

I landed a few good tricks today. I went to the beach and practiced for a few hours. I am able to juggle the ball between all 3 cups and get it to spike now. I can spike it from the big cup and base cup, but not the small cup yet. I also practiced doing it with both sara and ken grip. I must say spiking it from sara grip is a little tricky. I also landed some ken flips and jumping sticks today.
I was able to do a swing up spike directly to an earth turn as well... that combo felt good. I suppose the only "basic" trick I have left to land is the lighthouse, which feels absolutely foreign to me.

JamesFM

Finally figured out how to lighthouse.  :)

Landed a few tonight.

BKA

JamesFM

Waylon

Quote from: JamesFM on 17 March, 2013, 08:15:06
Learned Bird today.

I kind of poked at Bird the other day. Didn't land it. I'm still trying to bang out the basics. I'm not surprised you're learning so fast. You're yoyo skills are well advanced for the time you've been playing.

LarsVegas

Today I stabbed heaven for the first time. However I didn't stab sideways. Instand I stabbed from front to back. I.e. After having caught, my hand was behind my back (a little bit like if the police grabbed you - not that I ever experienced that, mind you). Does that count?

If only my earth turns would improve ...

The Void

Lars, that's called "adding style" ;-), sure it counts.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

Lars that is the perfect position for "stab behind the back". All you gotta do is stab like that then let go and throw the ken over your shoulder and catch in front!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

donald grant

Having a noodle this morning, decided to have a go at reverse swing in gunslinger.  Never tried it before, but apparently I can do it!  Rather chuffed!

LarsVegas

Quote from: SamB on 18 March, 2013, 14:45:00
Lars that is the perfect position for "stab behind the back". All you gotta do is stab like that then let go and throw the ken over your shoulder and catch in front!

Sam, that's a great idea. Something like that is one of my favourite throws with clubs.
Next steps: Stab heaven again, throw ken over shoulder, visit chiropractor.

The Void

Nice one Donald. I gave it a go too, and also managed to get it. In fact, I had quite a good evening's clicking tonight, what with http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,851.msg6708.html#new, your trick, and generally having a nice play with a few different models. (Including the Pink/black fella you made for me).

br4d24

Recently got a few new tricks in the arsenal:
1turn lighthouse
lighthouse (flip) to lighthouse
bird over the valley + nighting gale (sp?)
swing in spike pen grip
tradespike
spin tama around finger and then spike (like swing spike but spin tama around finger first)
landed a double ufo once

lunars are still beyond me though :/