News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

i still cant stomp a simple lunar...need help

Started by BrandonYoder, 11 March, 2013, 07:18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonYoder

i realize this is a somewhat basic trick...but im seriously inconsistent...and its about time i add them to my trick list.
I guess i just never took the time to learn the proper way to do them.
Can someone point me in the right direction on the BEST and proper way to learn?

Much appreciated..

Also...i know there are different techniques.
I feel like i read somewhere that the pull up method(there the cup sits on the string) is pretty much frowned upon..is this true or does everyone do this? I know alex smith talked about doing it in a recent thread...so seems like maybe my source was wrong, and just trying to bag on people?

BrandonYoder

Also...still rocking my ever popular red heart/chatke kok dama...shes finally starting to show some battle scars.
about to throw on some new KenLab color fades i got in the mail the other day as well as my new mugen tama i got as a gift from GLOKEN  ;D ;D I've been debating on using these tamas or not...

kens are to be enjoyed not put on a shelf...right?
(yes im fishing for some motivation here because im babying them so far..)
::)

The Void

Read everything here and here? Lunar is a balance trick, so apply all the advice about balance tricks [noembed]
in this video ← Please go to JTV for HD/download[/noembed] to Lunar.
Quotei realize this is a somewhat basic trick...
Realise again. Lunar is a HARD TRICK. So you've seen a squillion people do them in videos? Those videos are EDITED!
Quotebut im seriously inconsistent...
So you have done it?
Even if you haven't yet, don't get dispirited. It's hard. Work harder. Try 500 times. More knees. They will come.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BrandonYoder

thanks void, appreciate the input

do you know anything about the hanging method(ken hanging down with the string on the cup to make the ken stay horizontal) being cheating?  i was always told that...but i see pros do it on occasion.

The Void

The Hooked start is in a Japanese kendama instruction book. That's about as legit as you can get.

I imagine two 13-year olds playing each other at K.E.N. One sets Lunar with the twist start, the other one matches it with the hooked start. The first one, thinking he was about to win, says "Hey, that's cheating!".
Complete and utter conjecture, but I'm sure it was something as silly as that that started the "cheating" misinformation.  :) If you are entering a (serious/proper) competition though, it's always good to check - just in case.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

happygoat

Quote from: The Void on 11 March, 2013, 22:48:36
The Hooked start is in a Japanese kendama instruction book. That's about as legit as you can get.

Could be nice to see the illustration if possible?

Misterwhang

AlexSmith

Quote from: The Void on 11 March, 2013, 22:48:36

I imagine two 13-year olds playing each other at K.E.N. One sets Lunar with the twist start, the other one matches it with the hooked start. The first one, thinking he was about to win, says "Hey, that's cheating!".
Complete and utter conjecture, but I'm sure it was something as silly as that that started the "cheating" misinformation.  :) If you are entering a (serious/proper) competition though, it's always good to check - just in case.
The Japanese book is where I first saw it. I've always just thought of it more as two separate tricks. For your example of the K.E.N. game, if one person sets the trick as 'pull up lunar', the other must also perform a pull up lunar. How you get into a trick is often as important as the trick - pull up lunar and spacewalk to lunar are obviously different tricks, even though they both end in the same position. Of course, pull up vs. hanging is a smaller difference, but it is still there.
Just my two cents, in reality a lot of people interchange pull up and hanging starts. When in doubt just ask the people you're playing with what they think, so that everyone is on the same page and there aren't any misunderstandings! Kendama is supposed to just be fun, right?

BrandonYoder

Quote from: AlexSmith on 16 June, 2013, 21:06:39
Kendama is supposed to just be fun, right?
amen to that.

Since i first posted this, i have gotten my lunars to be about a 1 out of 4 kind of deal...
Anyone have tips for 1 turn? i feel like someone may have posted about it before, but i have to leave and don't have time to read through again so i thought i would ask so that way maybe someone could point to it for later.
Much appreciated.

Kev

Quote from: AlexSmith on 16 June, 2013, 21:06:39
Kendama is supposed to just be fun, right?

You're absolutely spot on there [user]AlexSmith[/user], well said :)

I do also sympathise [user]BrandonYoder[/user], lunars are hard man!

I've only just started to try them but they feel a lot more challenging than anything I've done so far. I'm getting 1-turn lighthouses now from time to time but lunars are going to take a lot more practice for me.

Keep in mind the joy is in the journey - It'd be boring if you could just do all the tricks straight away though wouldn't it?

Good luck!

:)

PikWik

you guys are spot on about the appreciation for landing those tricks you thought you were never going to land.
and then they become normal tricks you can 1st try  8)

and to the hang method vs pull, i concur
Quote from: alex smithI've always just thought of it more as two separate tricks.