News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Consistency Competition #8

Started by KendaMushroom, 27 December, 2011, 13:57:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorny

gahh no way! ahah oh man, twice I've done it - but wrong! ohh that's a shame, I don't know if i can be bothered to try again tonight, i'll probably give it until tomorrow now.

oh well, cest la vie!

gerard

I'm not even gonna try this cause I know it'll give me a headache. :P Good luck, everyone!

KendaMushroom

Quote from: Thorny on 04 January, 2012, 21:02:52
gahh no way! ahah oh man, twice I've done it - but wrong! ohh that's a shame, I don't know if i can be bothered to try again tonight, i'll probably give it until tomorrow now.

oh well, cest la vie!

i think you're sitting pretty strong...even by tomorrow no body else would've done it yet :)

KendAlex

Quote from: KendaMushroom on 04 January, 2012, 20:37:45
Quote from: KendaEuji on 04 January, 2012, 19:32:35
Quote from: KendaMushroom on 04 January, 2012, 17:56:09
i'm uploading my version...no miss...of course it doesn't count...unless you want to give me a present for it...(i'll take a white performer) ahahhaa

Where is your version ?

i forgot how SLOW youtube is!!

That was great Nic, but i thought you want to do it with your white performer?
haha
but do you receive the Purple Sunrise and the performer already?

DrJochum

very impressive List! and performances!

I have one technical question about slip-on-stick:
When taking the exams in Munich the Japanese were very strict about that.
The Tama should really slip on the stick and then immediately slip from the stick on the tip of the spike (and into the hole).

Is that right?
Body and mind - Kendama and Shogi

The Void

I would say that the JKA rule[nb]As I understand it[/nb] (and BKA rule[nb]As I decreee it[/nb]) would be that the ball must be caught cleanly on the side of the spike with the hole flat on the spike[nb]Must not touch fingers, or 'wobble' into position[/nb]. (You can then pause, I believe, if you wish). Then the ball must slide[nb]and not roll[/nb] onto the spike without leaving contact with the spike at any time.

I assume that's how Nic wants it too, but I can't speak for him.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KendAlex

Agree , it must slip and stay in contact with the spike all the way.
on the Around the Cosmos trick, you have to land the tama on the spike but then you must push the ball into the air, instead of making a slip on stick right?

Mirek

KendaMushroom

alex : didn't receive anything yet :) but it would be probably easier with a white performer haha

Yes the slip on stick is like the name..it must slip on the stick...no loss of contact. and for Around cosmos...you can land it on the hole if you want but you can balance the ball on the spike with the hole facing up...it's your choice, and must lose contact before spiking.

have you done it yet Alex?

s070s

the prices are SICK dude !!!
WOW !!!

The Void

And I beat the kettle!

Getting there....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KendAlex

Quote from: KendaMushroom on 05 January, 2012, 09:01:52
have you done it yet Alex?

Yes i have done it, only with 7-8 mistakes, getting there too.
new red mugen is doing the job hopefully :)

Re- Edit:
6 mistakes and in 2:40 seconds.
i think i need take more time to focus

GbH

Hmm - I just 'did' the whole list too, but gave up counting the mistakes when I had a 'mare with Slip Stop Special.  Getting through the entire thing clean seems a distant prospect for me....   :(

Peter

Same for me, folks. Have done all the tricks, once in a lifetime, yet, doing all on one day would be a breakthrough for me. Beating the kettle? Maybe, if it boils 20 liters of water based on a candle. Did I say "Candle"? Aaargh!!!

Really, pretty impressive what you people are doing there. And a nice Paulaner Add, too. ;-)

Nevertheless, this competition is very high class, isn't it. And shouldn't be there something similiar for the base players? Some thing like "do the beginners trick ladder"-Challenge? Like the 1-Kyu Grade without mistakes? or even lower skill level? just a thought, maybe someone has an idea of how to set rules and incentives on a Kendama-forum-feature like this...   

What I really wanted to say: I love seeing skillful players breaking the edge. Yet, competitions like this should also include a "beginners section" - where people like me just not only watch, but participate. Just an idea...

The Void

I agree with Peter. While it's nice to see the top 10% of players kicking kendama arse, it would be good to have a challenge that was more accesible to the mid-range players. I think that's what Donald was thinking when he created the first KCC. I certainly tried to achieve that with the one that I set.
Similarly, when Robin & I were creating the BKA Speed Trick Challenge, we wanted it to have tricks that were not too hard, so that anyone could feel like they could join in.

However, with this KCC, for example, I thought it was really going to be stupidly hard, but after a few attempts, I found that there was the beginnings of the thought that maybe, with a bit of persistence, it might be just about possible. So perhaps these KCCs are helping to push players to improve themselves. It is all about consistency after all.

It is a fine line to walk when setting a list, and I encourage whoever sets the next one to consider this element in their thoughts.