News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Advice on new Kendama

Started by Canadapro, 27 March, 2015, 22:12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadapro

So I've been researching kendamas, and I'm not sure as where to go. I'm debating an ozora premium, homegrown sweets, a KROM rubber, a sourmash, a kaizen padauk, or a kaizen cherry. Please let me know what you guys think on these with durability, and grip. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peat

I've played premium ozoras (Gold, white and orange, I own the gold and the orange) and they're all great, gold is the tackiest out of the three, the paint isn't quite as durable as the other two though, still good regardless. It's difficult to go wrong with an ozora. I beat my orange to shreds and it plays amazing, I think the white is the same paint formula, it feels similar.

Sweets homegrowns are fantastic, I own a Purple Heart stripe and it's a really high quality product, weight and balance is unreal and the spike is practically indestructible, not a mark on it. A homegrown should last you a long time. Remember they're naturals though so you'd have to wear it in for balance tricks.

I don't own a rubber krom but I've played one for a short while, very sticky, I can't do boarders balance yet and I got rather close trying it on one. I can't comment on the durability of the paint unfortunately. I own other kroms and they're all good, the kens have a great feel and weight to them.

Haven't played a sourmash, kaizen padauk or cherry but I own a padauk prototype Ken and it's real good, great clack and solid feel. I've played a jake wiens pro model kaizen a bit and it's good, great for lunars and lighthouses, extremely tacky and great lunar balance once broken, landed my first double lunar with it. I'm pretty sure the paints durable too.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, padauk kens don't take drops on hard surfaces very well, I haven't dropped mine but I've seen a fair few photos of chipped padauks, so if you go for that you might want to stick to playing above soft surfaces. I only play mine over carpet, grass etc.

So that's about all I have to say, this is all just from personal experience and I'm by no means a professional but there's my 2 cents, they're all solid choices for your next dama I'd say but whatever you choose just have fun with it.

Canadapro

Thanks a lot bro. Definitely between a homegrown or KROM now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk