News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Moon Circle. (Or Suicide Swing In).

Kens

The trick at 2:08. I'm confused at what that is called.

br4d24

The closest trick i know to that is slip grip special. But that is in a different grip style than what he is doing it in.

BKA

(Backhand) Clifftop.
Kens, can we gently remind you of:
Quote from: BKA on 24 June, 2011, 18:57:40
  • What's that trick called....?
If you're not sure of the name of a trick, check out the JKA gifs of the Kyu and Dan tricks via this page at the BKA. Also watch all the BKA tricklist videos, and [noembed]
Kendama School ← Please go to JTV for HD/download[/noembed].
Void and Donald's books are also great sources for trick names, in English and Japanese, and are recommended (essential?!) reading. If you're still stuck after all that, then make a post in this thread.
Those vids would have answered your last two questions. :-)

JamesFM

What is this trick called??? (or perhaps it 's original?)

I was playing around with "yoyo style" tricks today and came up with this.
I was basically trying to do a 5A Windmill on a kendama.. Spiking the ball instead of landing a trapeze.

It is kind of like a Moon Circle for beginners.

HansNickmans

First off, that looks pretty awesome!

Next, I think you may have stumbled upon something 'new' here. It kinda looks like a 'one rotation' version of the propeller from Guy Heathcote (see 00:40 of ), but with a swing-in exit.

From another perspective it's a swirl without actually wrapping the string around your finger. Since you have a half swirl, this would be a 'zero swirl' of some kind :-)

Looks great, and not every trick needs to have a name. This yo-yo/kendama crossover seems to have some great tricks, keep researching like this!
Kendama Belgium!

JamesFM

Quote from: HansNickmans on 28 March, 2013, 07:52:11

Next, I think you may have stumbled upon something 'new' here. It kinda looks like a 'one rotation' version of the propeller from Guy Heathcote, but with a swing-in exit.

From another perspective it's a swirl without actually wrapping the string around your finger. Since you have a half swirl, this would be a 'zero swirl' of some kind :-)

Looks great, and not every trick needs to have a name. This yo-yo/kendama crossover seems to have some great tricks, keep researching like this!

Thanks Hans.. I was hoping this was a new trick!  ;D

Ill need more confirmation of course, but my hopes are high.

I have been thinking of a name all evening. lol

So far I'm liking, "Hurricane"... I'm open to suggestions though if this goes through.

Cliffdama

Quote from: JamesFM on 28 March, 2013, 08:02:40
Quote from: HansNickmans on 28 March, 2013, 07:52:11

Next, I think you may have stumbled upon something 'new' here. It kinda looks like a 'one rotation' version of the propeller from Guy Heathcote, but with a swing-in exit.

Thanks Hans.. I was hoping this was a new trick!  ;D

Ill need more confirmation of course, but my hopes are high.

I have been thinking of a name all evening. lol

So far I'm liking, "Hurricane"... I'm open to suggestions though if this goes through.

Wow james that looks great! Don't really get how you di it but it looks good!

SamB

That is a good looking trick. It may be new but maybe someone else has done it in the middle of some mad string combo (seems similar to Yannck Brunner's style).
Either way as it's own trick it doesn't have a name. I think "reverse - zero-swirl" would be the most descriptive and "zero-swirl" sounds pretty cool to me.
I think hurricane has been used for something else but again I'm not sure.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

HansNickmans

I also thought Hurricane was already taken, but I looked around and didn't find anything. There is a whirlwind, tornado and typhoon, but hurricane has not been used for a trick.

Naming a trick is mostly seeing which name sticks with the majority of players. Like 'tornado' being used for 'baton twirling' in the US, or a 'turntable' being called a 'zack yourd'... The same as 'stilt' is more commonly used than the literal translation of 'bamboo horse', 'ufo' instead of 'rotor blade', the 'bat' or 'underbird'-choice, 'small cup bird' or 'nightingale',...

Since this tricks falls (for me that is) within the swirl-category of tricks, I would go for zero-swirl. You could try getting your name in there and go for 'Jamespin', which has a nice ring to it I guess :-)
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

Hi James,
Well done for discovering your own trick. It has definitely been done before... by me! (Not on video tho'). I usually do it to finish on the Base Cup (easier!), but I have done it to Spike once or twice. I have a strong suspicion that I picked it up from either Donald, Guy or someone else though. As to a name... Hurricane has been used before, I'm certain, although searching the forum for that gives nothing. Google translate 'Hurricane' into Japanese, and you get all these options:   
ハリケーン
hurricane
台風
typhoon, hurricane
暴風
storm, windstorm, hurricane, gale
疾風
gale, blast, hurricane, squall, storm, gust
颶風
hurricane, tornado, typhoon
荒れ
storm, tempest, windstorm, blizzard, hailstorm, hurricane

Typhoon has definitely been used before (search the forum), so best to stay away from that lot to avoid confusion, I think. (There's Whirlwind too, of course!)

I don't think it can be classed as a Swirl, since it doesn't have the wrap, and I can think of a Swirl variation that could sensibly be called a Zero-Swirl...

I think it is most similar to Guy's propellor, although the spin is in the opposite direction. (Think of the driving finger making a small circle: In Guy's version the finger comes up on the inside and down on the outside. Yours (If you extended the motion) is the opposite.) So it could be something like "Micro Propellor" or "1-Propellor", but then there's the exit to consider.

If we're talking about just the "finger pushing the string" part of the trick, then it could also be called a "Forced..." or "Driven..." something, perhaps? I think this might be the smart way to go, since there are obviously going to be a lot of different possible exits.

So how about "Forced Swing In" or "Driven Swing In"? What do you think?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

HansNickmans

Void, I'm intrigued by what your zero-swirl variation would be like. I would like to see that!
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

Quote from: HansNickmans on 28 March, 2013, 11:51:11Since this tricks falls (for me that is) within the swirl-category of tricks, I would go for zero-swirl.
I'll try and do a quick shot of what I envisage as a Zero-Swirl Aeroplane soon.
QuoteYou could try getting your name in there and go for 'Jamespin', which has a nice ring to it I guess :-)
ALWAYS be extremely wary of naming a trick after yourself. Can you ever be sure that in 38+ years of Japanese kendama history, no-one else got there first? :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Okay, here you go.
[noembed]http://juggling.tv/12972?pin=5151[/noembed]
The idea is to release the ken a little early, then very quickly reach under the other hand to grab the ball before it has even started to Swirl. Exit as per normal to an Aeroplane. No swirl = "0-Swirl Aeroplane"! I wasn't quite quick enough in this video, so you might call that one a Quarter-Swirl Aeroplane, but I think the concept holds.

JamesFM

Cool Stuff. Thanks for the info guys.

The trick is a direct adaptation of a free hand yoyo trick called, "Windmill".
Although the name isn't tough sounding, I think it is the right choice.

Here is what a free hand windmill looks like:

Windmill in Japanese is: Kazaguruma かざぐるあま。

What do you guys think?