News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonYoder

today i witnessed my 6 year old sister get excited about spiking the kendama i gave her ONLY 2 DAYS AGO!!! I nearly started to geek out when she told me shes been practicing for "a hundred hours a day." She even wrote herself a song about bending her knees and keeping the ball steady, and all the good fundamentals. it was great!!
Cheesy...but it was literally the cutest thing ive ever heard a little kid say. haha

Good thread..
Cheers everyone!

The Void

Ha, cool. Enthusiastic beginners are great to play with. Last night I sold a kendama to a pretty good cigar box juggler[nb]Check out Eric Bates if you don't know what that is. [noembed]
http://juggling.tv/1799 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download[/noembed] [/nb]. Those guys have to use their knees a lot too, so I think he'll do pretty well. (Tried to convince him to get training for the Beginner's division of BKO.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Tonight at diner we started talking about Kendama. Turns out that all of the Japanese colleagues were playing as a child, but no-one continued. So I got my Kendama out and we talked about and did a few basic tricks. I started doing Moshi Kame and suddenly one of the Japanese colleagues started to sing the Moshi Kame song. We had our own booth, but still it was a public restaurant. I held Moshi Kame for all the song and finished together with him. He went all crazy about that, proposing that I could earn lots of money in Japanese TV - kind of a "whacky gaijin doing Japanese things".
But the highlight was really, that I played Moshi Kame to the Moshi Kame song :)
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Today I ... Stared out of the window at the grey grey wet grey skies. Bah, how's a fella supposed to film a ken around the world?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Quote from: LarsVegas on 06 February, 2013, 14:18:52
Tonight at diner we started talking about Kendama. Turns out that all of the Japanese colleagues were playing as a child, but no-one continued. So I got my Kendama out and we talked about and did a few basic tricks. I started doing Moshi Kame and suddenly one of the Japanese colleagues started to sing the Moshi Kame song. We had our own booth, but still it was a public restaurant. I held Moshi Kame for all the song and finished together with him. He went all crazy about that, proposing that I could earn lots of money in Japanese TV - kind of a "whacky gaijin doing Japanese things".
But the highlight was really, that I played Moshi Kame to the Moshi Kame song :)
While in Japan there was a day that I was playing moshikame in front of a whole bunch of very young school girls, and they all started to sing that song. I always knew there was a song, but had never heard it. It was a really cool moment haha!

Cliffdama

Today i did some practise for about half an hour. Landed some slipsticks, did my regular small cup - spike combo and tryed to land more airplanes. About one week into kendama and having a great time!

theobau

Today I did my first backwards lighthouse flip, that was very pleasing!

the milky oolong

... landed my first combo coming out of a Lunar: Lunar - Lighthouse - In - Jumping Stick. Not exactly earth-shattering but it's the first time I've seriously regretted having no camera equipment!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

Yesterday I landed a half-swirl aeroplane, with witnesses!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

SamB

Quote from: The Void on 08 February, 2013, 20:40:26
Today I ... Stared out of the window at the grey grey wet grey skies. Bah, how's a fella supposed to film a ken around the world?
I just sent off the Ken to carry on around the world. It was a bit sad seeing it go. There is a slight flaw in the plan that all the UK shots will be done in this grey winter. My edit is looking so grey, but I guess that makes it more real....
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Cliffdama

Only had about one hour practice today abd landed my first "big" combo. Swing in, earthspin, basecup, (trow all up and catch aeroplane style) don't know how to call it :p

BKA

Quote from: Cliffdama on 03 March, 2013, 05:05:46... (trow all up and catch aeroplane style) don't know how to call it :p
...fast hand aeroplane.

Well done. :)

Cliffdama

Quote from: BKA on 03 March, 2013, 13:09:32
Quote from: Cliffdama on 03 March, 2013, 05:05:46... (trow all up and catch aeroplane style) don't know how to call it :p
...fast hand aeroplane.

Well done. :)

Ah oke thanks! It all just keeps getting better and better! :D

br4d24

Today I did an inventory of all the tricks Ive learnt over the past month, an landed them all in a little session! Anyone suggest what new tricks i should learn now? Heres what i got so far:

(all basics and juggling obviously)

Airplane Jumping stick
Spacewalk airplane
Handroll to big cup
Whirlwind
Gunslinger Spike
Lighthouse to spike
Pull up airplane (dunno the specific name for this one)
kenflip
bird
bird over valley
orbits
earth turn ken and sara grip (sara grip horizontal)
ufo
One turn airplane after swing ken around free hand finger.
big cup partial kenflip small cup partial kenflip base cup partial kenflip back to original position (ID please)

The Void

Brad, try some of the Consistency Challenges, and self-certifying yourself in the gradings.

Today I was waiting for the rice to cook, so I had a few goes at Around Tunbridge Wells. I got to 55/57 AGAIN! Aaargh. I don't know whether to be gutted, or pleased that I wasn't filming.