News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yoyo expert forums

Started by AlexSmith, 30 March, 2013, 02:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexSmith

So I've made friends with the guy who runs CLYW, and he's been nice enough to hook me up with a couple of Chiefs. Absolutely love these yo-yos, been slowly learning some tricks and getting my skills up! I joined the yoyoexpert forum with the intention of posting there a bunch, and using it as a resource to learn yoyo related things.
Now, the problem is that the first post I responded to was a kendama post, and I think I may have broken forum rules by posting a link to the kendamaUSA shop, and recommending OP didn't buy a cheap toy smith kendama (OP had asked if they were any good, or he should go with a more reputable source). The next morning I woke up and found I had been globally banned, and I can't figure out a way around it, or a way to message the mods. So, anyone here post around those forums, and have a good enough reputation to message the mods and ask to unban me? I fully intend to contribute to their forum in a meaningful way, tell them I'm sorry I looked like a spammer upfront (though I honestly tried to make my post helpful, didn't want to be spammy).

In short: joined yoyoexpert forum to learn about yoyo things, responded to a kendama post, got globally banned for 'spamming', would like help to get unbanned.

Thanks

JamesFM

I can try to message them. What is your YYE username?

EDIT: I messaged a moderator explaining what happened. I assumed your username was AlexSmith.
I am sure they will fix it soon.

EDIT 2: I got a message back from an administrator.. Here is what it said:

"There's no member by the name of AlexSmith. Find out what it was and I'll see what I can do. Frankly people don't get banned for that type of thing. usually the post is removed or satirized. Sometimes they get a PM.

Was he actually banned or was it possibly that he's on an IP that is banned and he's just getting a banned message? We ban most all proxy addresses as well as a lot from China and Russia because they are a large source of spam."

br4d24

And there is the answer!

As far as i know alex is in china right now (fb status saying $15 buys alot of fireworks in china)

He was also saying how he had a trip coming up so he couldnt make a jam recently. I guess china was the destination?

AlexSmith

Yeap, its been taken care of now! Turns out I've met the guy who runs YYE before, sent him an email and he said that its a Chinese IP thing.

Case closed!

Waylon

When people link other stores, the mods usually change the link to say Bob's Bait and Tackle :)

MrSquirrel

Quote from: Waylon on 30 March, 2013, 13:00:16
When people link other stores, the mods usually change the link to say Bob's Bait and Tackle :)
That's true haha. I remember seeing that happen to some kid who never read the forum rules. He went back to the thread later and said something along the lines of, "What the heck I didn't post that Bob's Bait or whatever!" I laughed so hard because he was so confused ;D

Anyway, I'm obviously on the YYE forum (under the same username) if you couldn't tell by my story above. So Alex, what kind of tricks are you doing? And do you have any yoyos beside the Chiefs?

Waylon

Quote from: MrSquirrel on 31 March, 2013, 03:45:52
That's true haha. I remember seeing that happen to some kid who never read the forum rules. He went back to the thread later and said something along the lines of, "What the heck I didn't post that Bob's Bait or whatever!" I laughed so hard because he was so confused ;D

Anyway, I'm obviously on the YYE forum (under the same username) if you couldn't tell by my story above. So Alex, what kind of tricks are you doing? And do you have any yoyos beside the Chiefs?

Ha! I remember that. Seemed like he was mad about it. I think jhb8675309 is a mod at TheYo, too, and started it over there.

AlexSmith

I have a bunch of basics down pretty well, one of my favourite tricks I can pull off smoothly right now is the Matrix. Since I've been unable to watch any trick tip videos lately I've been just kind of playing and coming up with tricks on my own - I'm sure they all have names, but I have no idea what they are :p My goal is to get something that looks kinda cool to film for an upcoming dama edit.

I have a couple Chiefs, a YYF DV888 (with hubs), and I got a YYF One Star back in Feb that I really like, but my gf has that one right now. I've been checking the yoyoexpert new releases pretty routinely and drooling over some of the products up there... yo-yos are just so damn expensive compared to kendamas though haha. I like how different each yoyo can be, you don't really get that as much with kendama.
I have a couple yo-yos I want to add to my collection over the next little while - the YYF popstar is super fun, some with the HOT, and the Ricochet is sooo rad. CLYW Puffins look really cool too, and the Gnarwhal (really though, everything they make is sexy). The Duncan Exit 8 looks nice (and Takeshi is a really nice dude!). OneDrop makes a lot of really good looking stuff too...
Any recommendations? Sounds like you guys have been throwing a lot longer than I have :p

Waylon

Anymore, there way more good yoyos out there than bad ones. Any recommendations would be entirely based on our own preferences. Especially since you're already playing on what are widely regarded as some of the best throws available.

Personally, I'm a big YYJ fan. Their stuff just feels inexplicably good to me. One of my alltime favorite, and cheap, yoyos is the YYJ Classic. Swap out the slim bearing for a wide one, substitute silicone or slim pads for the orings, and you've got yourself a super stable, slightly oversized, unexpectedly smooth beast of a throw for about $20. Plus, it's exceedingly durable. You could play hockey with it as the puck and still have a yoyo when you're done.

MrSquirrel

Quote from: AlexSmith on 31 March, 2013, 15:25:24

I have a bunch of basics down pretty well, one of my favourite tricks I can pull off smoothly right now is the Matrix. Since I've been unable to watch any trick tip videos lately I've been just kind of playing and coming up with tricks on my own - I'm sure they all have names, but I have no idea what they are :p My goal is to get something that looks kinda cool to film for an upcoming dama edit.

I have a couple Chiefs, a YYF DV888 (with hubs), and I got a YYF One Star back in Feb that I really like, but my gf has that one right now. I've been checking the yoyoexpert new releases pretty routinely and drooling over some of the products up there... yo-yos are just so damn expensive compared to kendamas though haha. I like how different each yoyo can be, you don't really get that as much with kendama.
I have a couple yo-yos I want to add to my collection over the next little while - the YYF popstar is super fun, some with the HOT, and the Ricochet is sooo rad. CLYW Puffins look really cool too, and the Gnarwhal (really though, everything they make is sexy). The Duncan Exit 8 looks nice (and Takeshi is a really nice dude!). OneDrop makes a lot of really good looking stuff too...
Any recommendations? Sounds like you guys have been throwing a lot longer than I have :p
All of those yoyos on your "want list" are great. The POPStar is a great throw to carry around with you because of its size. The TenYoYo Drop Bear, TenYoYo Wet Whistle, One Drop Code 2, DEADLY SpINS Wrath, and the Eternal Throw Victory are all among my favorites, and are all available on YoYoExpert. But really, as Waylon said, it is almost entirely based on preference.

Waylon

I wanted to add:

Don't get caught up in fanboy hype, either. Just buy what appeals to you and throw what feels good.

The Void

In honour of all you guys, I changed my avatar to one of my favourite yo-yos. I can't believe none of you have mentioned it yet. Next you'll all be telling me you don't have any coca-colas or Vipers...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Waylon

I've got a few South African Russells. No Henry's though.

Kev

Quote from: Waylon on 31 March, 2013, 19:30:26
Don't get caught up in fanboy hype, either. Just buy what appeals to you and throw what feels good.

Absolutely true - great advice there, not just for yoyo but for life there too :).

BTW - I agree your choices of yoyos you already own are great, the 888 is a classic of course - and you're right to covet a One Drop - great throws from a good company.

It's possible to have a great yoyo without spending too much too - Delrin's are often underrated (see the Severe for high end delrin - dissed by the fanboys but personally I love 'em). I have a YYJ Pinnacle that I use for 5A and it's great - total cost = £7.99.

Enjoy!

Kev

Quote from: The Void on 31 March, 2013, 19:31:19
In honour of all you guys, I changed my avatar to one of my favourite yo-yos. I can't believe none of you have mentioned it yet. Next you'll all be telling me you don't have any coca-colas or Vipers...

Ah! Now you're talking squire. Duncan classic :) I still have a couple of those, coca colas too AND a super smooth well worn in Tom Kuhn 'No Jive 3 in 1' from back in the day - one of the most enjoyable feeling yoyos I've ever thrown.

Void - Do you still have that original Silver Bullet?