News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yoyo expert forums

Started by AlexSmith, 30 March, 2013, 02:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Duncan *Special*.
I think I've still got the Silver Bullet 1. I sold a few yo-yos a little while ago, but I think I've still got that one. (I'll check when I'm next at home.) I too still have a nice No Jive 3-in-1 , and even the box. Must be nearly 20 years since I got that. Crikey...

I wonder if I'm the only person ever to have held a national title at both yo-yo and kendama...[nb]Now, if I just quickly organise a UK Astrojax championship, maybe I could get a holy trinity of string toy titles![/nb]?  :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

JamesFM

Every yoyo has its own personality.. so it is all down to personal preference.

Some of my favorites are:

CLYW Arctic Circle - I prefer the AC to the Chief due to the slightly smaller diameter. I also find the slightly convex hub to be aesthetically pleasing.

C3 Capless - The Capless plays like a $100+ throw for only $65. The shape is very comfortable and the anodization is top notch. Some of the best colorways on the market.

Monkeyfinger Gelada - Its big, floaty, and beautiful. The Gelada also has one of the best grinding surfaces I have ever seen.

OneDrop Code2 - Super stable, super smooth, and side effects are boss.

9 times out of 10 I just pick a yoyo that looks sweet. All of these high end modern yoyos play great, so just go with what you want to look at.

Waylon

Quote from: The Void on 31 March, 2013, 23:37:35
Duncan *Special*.
I think I've still got the Silver Bullet 1. I sold a few yo-yos a little while ago, but I think I've still got that one. (I'll check when I'm next at home.) I too still have a nice No Jive 3-in-1 , and even the box. Must be nearly 20 years since I got that. Crikey...

I wonder if I'm the only person ever to have held a national title at both yo-yo and kendama...[nb]Now, if I just quickly organise a UK Astrojax championship, maybe I could get a holy trinity of string toy titles![/nb]?  :)

Don't forget about diabolo ;)

Kev

Quote from: The Void on 31 March, 2013, 23:37:35
Duncan *Special*.

Ah Duncan Special, yes of course. I enjoyed that Silver Bullet but it was about £120 back then as far as I remember which 20 years back was considerable! I doubt I'd even spend that on a yoyo these days to be honest.

I reckon those No-Jive yoyos offer the most enjoyable yoyo experience, something Tom Kuhn used to go on about ("State of yo" etc.) but pretty much useless for string tricks. Great for chilling out on a nice sunny day in the park though. I guess that makes it my picnic yoyo!

Re: the String King Triple Crown - go for it! Make it a thing why not? You won't have too many rivals!

:)

Waylon

This guy loves No Jives. They are far from useless for string tricks. There's a section of the yoyo community that lives wood fixed axle yoyos. Ed here is pretty much our king.

Kev

Quote from: Waylon on 01 April, 2013, 12:31:02
This guy loves No Jives. They are far from useless for string tricks. There's a section of the yoyo community that lives wood fixed axle yoyos. Ed here is pretty much our king.

I'm impressed!

I guess I ought to have said that I find them less easy than a metal/plastic with a bearing . . .

That's an inspiration, thanks :)

[*seeks out no jive immediately to take to work with me this afternoon]

Waylon

A friend and put together a Fixed Axle February video contest this year with two very nice prize packages. It was fun and the sponsors were generous. The friend, Frank, made this video to inspire others to make videos. We weren't going for super cool, best trick type submissions so much as creativity. However, Frank kills it on his TMBR Fremont.

On a side note, I love how you guys let conversations happen rather than pointing out a derailing post. It's nice.