News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

How to keep the ken straight when doing multiple turns?

Started by rizkiyoist, 21 January, 2015, 18:03:45

Previous topic - Next topic

rizkiyoist

Do you have any tips on doing multiple turns/somersault (dunno what it's called), where basically the ken spin around multiple times like 2 turns airplane/lighthouse? Normally it's either the string got tangled or the ken doesn't want to turn (it went airplane instead). What I'm asking is how people do multiple turns while keeping the string on the side which prevent the string from getting tangled up?

Tsurushi

What I usually do for multiple-turn tricks is making sure the string is totally untwisted and giving it a firm tug (just as one would do for Swing in, but stronger). A little tangling is inevitable, but it's not that much of a problem with practice.

Maybe there's something more to it; I'm sure other players will give you a more comprehensive answer.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

The Void

Hi Rizki,
Welcome to the forum.
Firstly, have a read of what's written (and linked) here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1458.0.html

I'll add to that: If your hand holding the tama is too far away from the ken when it is spinning, then the string is likely to "ping". Try to keep the hand by the side of the spinning ken.

Let us know if any of that helps!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

rizkiyoist

Sorry for the slow response.
It helps to spin the ken a bit just like when doing lunars so the string is on one side and not get tangled. Still need more practice on how to keep it straighter.
Thanks for your help!

LarsVegas

Whatever you do, make sure to start the rotations when the cups are facing forwards and backwards. In that position the rotation is the most stable and the ken does not get tangled so easily. If you want to start with a nice "aeroplane" start (i.e. the ken has its cups sideways), give it a slight rotation and pull when the cups are in the right position.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion