News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Top 10 kendama players 2014

Started by Dimensions, 21 December, 2014, 10:42:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

A while ago I did a poll of the same thing:
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,873.msg6184.html#msg6184
However, at the time I believed that there wasn't enough variety of people that the forum had voted for.
So I'm going to do the same for this year, but...
Only Vote For People Who Have Contributed In This Year, 2014

In short, I'm going to make a list of your favourite kendama players 2014 and then (hopefully) make a YouTube video and upload it to my channel (check my sig.)

Voting Rules:
Up to 10 votes per person
Don't vote for teams
Don't vote for yourself
Your vote doesn't have to be to someone who uploads lots of videos, you can vote for people who have contributed in events - the EKO for example
Don't exceed 10 votes

Voting closes January 10 2015

If I get what I feel is enough votes my video will go ahead for either a list of 10 or 20

Ill post my list on the last day of voting

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Great idea. My votes are going to be for...

Dimensions, Philip and Iji for their performance at the Dam Jam at EKO and their special style. I guess Iji/EFK will be in everyones list.
Jake Weins for expanding kendama in SF, and I really like his style too. That video of Around the world variations is one of my favorites of the year.
Bonzatron for the crint series (and the world cup)
Akira Tajima, because I love his crazy style.
Joris for his tremendous progression, and for being the new European Champion.
Shimadera-san, although he's not uploading many videos lately, he's the very spirit of Kendama.
Donald Grant, for his new series of videos. All very enjoyable.
Void, also, for being the embodiment of Kendama, and for the videos of Outlink, prize draws and so on. Extra points for wearing sunglasses indoor.

I'm not including other great kendama players, but I think these were my favorites of the year.
Also, jamming occasionally with KendAlex, Jeffrey Van Reeven, Jeffrey Italiaander, Joris, Eelco, Lioneel, etc puts a very high standard of what I'd expect to see "in the flesh" :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

axel.aas.12

Gage cox, thorkild may, Keith matsumura, hailey bishop, nic stodd, bonz, Bosch, and tana hack.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

hannahkt

My votes are, kris Bosch, dave mateo, Zack Yourd, Stephanie lussier, and Hayley bishoff!

Dadooh

Very hard to answer that but:

1 Nic Stodd (Grain Theory Pro). COTK crew never fails to impress and Nic Stodd is kind of a leader for them. At the moment he's surely one of the most technical player in the world and his effortless style makes him cool to watch... and damn juggles to border are so impressive!

2 Bonz Atron (KenCo Pro). World Champ... what can I say more? His friends describe him as an animal and I think they're wright. Bonz showed this year that he's one of the most consistent AND creative player in the world.

3 Iroki Ijima (Krom Pro). Well, I was lucky enough to meet "Iji" at last EKO in Danemark. He's just not human. This guy is the king of freestyle performance. The most impressive part of him is that he never fails in front of a crowd, landing tricks after tricks in a very fast and blown-minding way. Btw his dedication into kendama commands my respect and he deserved a podium.

4 Kris Bosh (KenCo Pro). Kris is the Lucky Luc of Kendama, fastest hands in the west, kenflip master. Yes he's fast but he's even more clean making him one of the most enjoyable player to watch (my personnal fav player of all time). I advice you to follow him on his facebook account because he drops many good tricks on it.

5 Wyatt Bray (kenUSA Pro). COTK again. 1 year ago I didn't even know his name but nowadays he's a front-line player, releasing videos very constantly. He brought the juggle/downspike tricks to a whole new level this year and became a big influence in the game.

6 Torkild May (Krom Pro). Torkild is surely the best european kendama player. Very creative, flowless style, tech-lines killer. He won the freestyle world championship this year defeating Bonz in final so it's a very impressive accomplishment.

7 Jake Fischer (KenCo Junior Pro). The genius. Jake is very young but he's definitely part of the top players. Not the most creative player around but his ability to stomp super hard tricks with ease is crazy.

8 Joris Schweppe (KenUSA Pro). The new european champion. I met him in person at last EKO and he's amazing. In 2014, he showed us the extent of his talent, releasing super creative edits and winning contests. Joris is the future.

9 Benjamin Mastek (Croix Pro). This very young player (he's only 14) won the advanced section EKO and his progression since last summer is unbelievable. Trust me, you're not ready for what he's about to show us. Alien.

10 Oase (Sweets Pro). Oase is a legend of kendama. He took a good place at last summer world cup but the main reason I wanted to add him on the list is just because he's such a good guy. ROMANIA!

kendamatty

Nice idea Rob!
I would say the personal favourites who I have seen in 2014 in the flesh, or had mass exposure through video websites (in no particular order) are:-

1. Keith Matsumura - Glad to finally see the 1-2-3. ANd to do that in front of a crowd = great stuff.
2. Joris Schweppe - I had literally no idea who he was before the EKO. Then seeing him outside the KROM HQ with some insane stuff, and now on KendamaUSA? Easily in this list.
3. Matt Ballard - Again, a very consistent performer in the flesh. Very deserved KROM pro.
4. Shimadera - A true classic player, who has a nice burger kendama sitting on his Mantle for this year's contributions.
5. Thorkild May - Winning a freestyle event this year with a very impressive run, alongside seemingly ALWAYS landing his spacewalks, got to be there.
6. Iji - This was just nuts to see in person.
7. Benjamin Mastek - I wish I had started kendama this young. New world champ in the making.
8. Saturo Akimoto - He has been on a video rampage this year
9. Donald Grant - Incredible skills in reality and in front of that pub fireplace.
10. Bonz Atron - Mostly for Crint, some of those things have been awesome. And of course the WKO.

There are others, but due to lack of exposure, being more behind the scene wizards helping the cogs turn, or simply not seeing them this year, they didn't make the 2014 list.

JeffreyItaliaander

I cannot make a top 10.
so
10 players i like :P

Bonz Atron
Jake Fischer
Jeffrey van Reeven
Matt Nix
Oase
Rodney Ansell
Keith Matsumura
Matthew Ballard
Thorkild May
Joris Schweppe

azleonhart

My top 10 are:

10. Ryan Cabal
9. Shimadera Katsuaki
8. Nakamura Yumi
7. Mathias Steen
6. Hiroki Iijima
5. Colin Sander
4. Kubota Tamotsu
3. Thorkild May
2. Akimoto Satoru
1. Bonz Atron
What the trick?

emagdnim

Kinda hard to make a list but here it goes

1. Imada Hiromu
2. Jeffrey Italiaander
3. Alex Ruisch and Joris Schweppe
4. Eelco Soesman
5. Colin Sander
6. Jake wiens
7. Bonz Atron
8. Jeffrey Van Reeven
9.Keith Matsumura
10. Katsuaki Shimadera

The Void

Always tough to make a list, but, without agonising over it for too long, here are players I've seen live this year....
[user]K.Cima[/user] - 'nuff said.
[user]donald grant[/user] - Always surprises me and makes me think
[user]Dimensions[/user] - Massive improvement, enthusiasm
[user]joris.schweppe[/user] - Euro champ , killed it
[user]theobau[/user] - Came close to denying Joris the title, plus killed me dead in K.E.N.
[user]kendamatty[/user] - Mr "Oh, I hardly touch my kendama these days but eat this awesome trick anyway!"
[user]akira tajima[/user] - Great fun to click with, in Japan and Denmark this year.
[user]Dadooh[/user] - So smooth and seemingly effortless. And hardcore.
[user]shalafi[/user] - For proselytising and enthusiasm
[user]Jim Brewis[/user] - For excitement and enthusiasm.

....and everyone else, of course - you're all great!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Buttkraken

Iji
Thorkild May
Bonz Atron
Kris bosch
Jake fischer
Tamotsu kubota
Nic stodd
Jake wiens
benjamin mastek

mlarinen

I'd say TJ Kolesnik, purely for his extremely good looks. Couldn't decide whether to ask Santa for a brand new Kaizen Padauk, or dinner with TJ.

If we leave physical attractiveness out of it, Keith Matsumura och Thorkild May would round out my top three. Awesome players with unique styles.

kaskaderos.com

1. Marc Wibbels

the only one i know personaly :-)
What you do with your right, must be profed by left hand...

BenPycroft24

My top ten of this year (my only kendama year)
In no particular order.

Chelsea May Perez
Thorkild May
Rob Henman (Dimensions2000)
Zack Yourd
Bonz Atron
My good friend Wil Bowler for introducing me to the kendama world.
PantherJackson
Cydroach
Keith Matsumara
Last but not least Dex Nester

donald grant

In no particular order: Void for his neverending commitment; Talin Crow and Iji for quality, DIFFERENT videos; Dimensions for the amusing "impressions" competition; Zoomadanke (can't remember names, so 2 votes, one each :)) for banging it out on stage...