News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

HansNickmans

Some more royal abuse. Got a stilt again after a looong time. Triple jumping stick and earth turn double whirlwind.

Those Royals are great!
Kendama Belgium!

shalafi

I got to the base cup section of ATW... I kind of started playing that one lately.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

the milky oolong

Great work, guys! Double Whirlwind is big, and, shalafi, ATW is a serious man's game. I'm still trying to get through it too.

Today Zack Winters showed me a neat little floor trick I'd never seen: place Ken flat on the ground, place the tama in the Clifftop/Handlestall position, press down on the spike and catch tama in candle grip. Infuriating? yes! Incredible, yes!

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Don't know why you guys are having such trouble with Around The World. ;)

@donald grant and I tried that move today, milky. No luck, and a bit of a clanky mess, but a laugh.
We also went out filming today for a project.

Last night we play-tested Kendama CombonesTM with @Sonicpearse. Seemed to work pretty well. It will probably make an appearance at Kendama Camp.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Void, I often throw Around the World into a game of KEN, just to give some cocky so-and-so a letter, but only now I'm doing my Dan practise regularly again!

Tip for the Clifftop Flipper to Candle thing, you need a sharp new spike to do it. Any rounded-off, beaten down favourite kendamas just aren't going to get the pitch high enough for you to go into Candle. I was trying it for ages on an old knackered Ozora and wondering how at least two other people got it in about five minutes.
Kendama Berlin

shalafi

Interesting move, I have to give it a try.

I had a nice day at Merrion Square. I did a Trap version of Bird fly over the Valley, using the palm of the hands on top and bottom and releasing both in between moves. It does not look good but it's so much fun to do.

the milky oolong

...failed miserably at KCC#32, many times, and not without serious effort. It seems I am an easily-distracted kendama player.

Did manage to land this a bit later though:

EDIT: Just so Void knows I really was trying KCC and not just filming big flips, note the whisk and copy of Infinite Jest on the table. Flower out of shot, I think.
Kendama Berlin

The Void

Nice one, milky.
Today I experimented with a new hybrid. I'll probably mess around with it some more, and maybe try and shoot some stuff, before I reveal what it is... :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

I was soo busy I didn't had time to get a flower for a proper attempt at KCC 32.
But I went to get some dinner at a local fish and chips and played STB while waiting, quite a decent run, less than 2 minutes, something about 5 to 8 misses. The staff was not very surprised, I've played kendama there before :)

Icemonkey

Yesterday I got my first 1-turn lighthouse! I've also been trying lunar a lot and I think I've gotten the hang of the slight turning motion you do with the ken before pulling up. Now to land the hard part of the trick! I see lots of practice in my future haha

The Void

Stick with it, Icemonkey, your first Lunar will feel soooo good. :)

Today I indulged in some constructive Royal Abuse.

Icemonkey

Void, yeah I have been. I'm getting more consistent with actually having the big cup smack the tama in some form now :) It'll come soon, I suppose I should practice walking around with it in lunar balance though.

Today I messed around with earth turns. I decided to see how many I could do, and I got a couple doubles, a couple triples and I think maybe one quad earth turn :D I was really just hucking them and hoping for the best too hahaha.
I also did a front earth turn (wow they are so much harder than regular earth turns) and I thing I call a earth spin. I'm not sure if it's been done yet, but it's essentially a ufo, but with the tama instead of the ken. I'm don't doubt that it's been done before, but it's a fun trick. Idk what the name for it might be, but I'm going to call it a Earth spin since that seems to make the most sense (at least to me). Unless there's like some super official name/a more creative name for it (planet spins? Earth rotations? Earth day? 24 hours? 360 degree movement along the x axis?).

The Void

Quote from: Icemonkey on 26 June, 2015, 03:21:22I'm getting more consistent with actually having the big cup smack the tama in some form now :) It'll come soon, I suppose I should practice walking around with it in lunar balance though.
"Smack" sounds a bit hard. You want to think more of a "landing", I think. But that's a good tip you gave yourself about walking around with it. Try to almost-lose-then-save it too.
QuoteI also did a front earth turn (wow they are so much harder than regular earth turns)
Here, you must mean a "Reverse Earth Turn". Because it's the reverse of an Earth Turn. (No confusing skateboard terminology here! :) )
Quoteand I thing I call a earth spin. I'm not sure if it's been done yet, but it's essentially a ufo, but with the tama instead of the ken. I'm don't doubt that it's been done before, but it's a fun trick. Idk what the name for it might be, but I'm going to call it a Earth spin since that seems to make the most sense (at least to me). Unless there's like some super official name/a more creative name for it (planet spins? Earth rotations? Earth day? 24 hours? 360 degree movement along the x axis?).
Rather boringly, this is a Sideways (or Horizontal) Earth Turn. Yes, it's known, but it is a nice one to discover for yourself, isn't it?
Well done, mate, keep it up!

Icemonkey

AAAAH!! I got my first lunar! :D I still can't believe I actually did it though O.o
I'm so happy right now yay lol.

Quote from: The Void on 26 June, 2015, 09:40:54
Rather boringly, this is a Sideways (or Horizontal) Earth Turn. Yes, it's known, but it is a nice one to discover for yourself, isn't it?
Well done, mate, keep it up!
Gah! That is such a lame name :P It's a neat trick though. Thanks!

shalafi

Congrats! The first lunar is a great milestone.