News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by BKA, 24 June, 2011, 15:09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Hi Chloé, welcome to kendama!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

keiranclen

Hey, my name is Keiran
I'm from Stoke-on-Trent, England.
My hobbies are Kendama, Skating, drawing and fingerboarding.
I joined this forum because I have been on a fingerboard forum since 2012 and think they're a good way to meet new people and progress, i guess, and i wanted to join a forum that was like that, as i made a lot of friends from it.

My skill level with Kendamas ain't too wild at the moment, I landed my first few Nightingales earlier :')
Whether i'm gonna be super active on here or not i don't know, it depends how i like the forum once i've used it for a bit.

The Void

Hi @keiranclen ,
Welcome! Don't worry, beginners are very welcome here. So you've got to Bird already, huh? Nice work!
Hope to get to meet you at some event soon. Cheers!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

keiranclen

aha yes, thanks
Hopefully i can make it to one, some day.

Meta4

Quote from: The Void on 24 August, 2015, 09:11:32
Hi @Meta4, welcome to the forum. What part of the world are you from?

I live in Sothern California.

ray

Hello, I'm Ray. I'm from Canary Island. I'm travelling around the world since 4 years ago. Now I'm in Austria.

My first time playing with a kendama was in EJC 2012 with the Shalafi's. He introduced me! But I didn't play again until two weeks ago and I love it. Next week I'll buy my first kendama. Since tomorrow until next week I'll practice with a friend. I can't wait any longer!

I hope to find a kendama with the ball in colour white and one yellow strip. I think it will be cool to play at night (winter is close).

I'll go to the EJC 2016 Almere (The Netherlands). I hope you will be there. It will be my first kendama convention.

Before arrive to Almere, I'll try to visit this countries: Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldava, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Italy, Malta, Tunisia, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, The Netherlands.

If someone is there and wants I visit him/her, just contact me by PM.

Kendamas and love!
Enjoy your life. Circus and love!

The Void

Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum. Wow, that's some itinerary!
I would say "add yourself to the Member Map", but it looks like you won't be in any place long enough. But maybe have a look there to see if you can find some people in the places you're going to.
Click!

ray

Quote from: The Void on 21 September, 2015, 23:47:00
Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum. Wow, that's some itinerary!
I would say "add yourself to the Member Map", but it looks like you won't be in any place long enough. But maybe have a look there to see if you can find some people in the places you're going to.
Click!
:) Well, I pin in Gran Canaria.

Yes, when I met a kendamer or future kendamer I'll show the sticker of "British Kendama Association" that Shalafi gave me in Amsterdam and I put it in the door of the bathroom of my van (outside). ;)

Hugs!

shalafi

Hi ray, nice to see that you finally decided to join the Kendama family.

To put in context for the others. He managed to hit his first lighthouse in less than 1 hour after touching a kendama for the first time. Talk about natural talent, then leave it aside for 3 years.

But now you've been trapped :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

ray

Well, finally I have my first kendama!!!

It's a SunRise. This one: http://kendama.cz/kendama-shop/white-with-black-stripe-kendama/. 16.60€.

I bought it at Kendama.cz, from Czech to Slovakia in one day. I found in the envelope the kendama, a bag, a small cardboard with a hole to prevent the string harms the paint of the ball, 3 stickers of Kendama.cz, 1 sticker of Sweetskendama.com, 2 white strings and one coloured (3 similar parts in 3 different colours: red, yellow and green) small plastic stuff with the shape of a kendama (maybe it's for drawing kendamas?).

In the outer packaging is written "no battery required" (it's true; I checked it or at least I didn't find the space for the battery yet).

In one side is the EJA blue sticker and in the opposite side the logotype of SunRise ("SunRise" - drawing - "Kendama - play & perform").

The length of the string is 46cms... Is it ok? I saw a video that say it must be 38cms. Must I change this?

Kev

Congratulations @ray that's a nice looking kendama.

I like SunRise kendamas, good solid players.

Regarding the string length, I think I'm correct I saying that there used to be a rule that the string had to be in a certain range but that has now been relaxed or abandoned as longer strings make some tricks easier and shorter strings make other tricks easier so it kind of evens out.

Most players seem to go by the 'fingers' rule.

Put the Tama (ball) on the spike and hold the kendama vertically, then see how many fingers fit into the loop of string that hangs under the base cup. Most people go for 2 fingers it seems although I prefer three myself. I think anything between 2 and 4 fingers could be considered normal range.

ray

Thanks @Kev,

Mine: 4 fingers.

Are there any rule about the string for the exams?

Kenhugs!

ray

Quote from: ray on 08 October, 2015, 01:30:27...and one coloured (3 similar parts in 3 different colours: red, yellow and green) small plastic stuff with the shape of a kendama (maybe it's for drawing kendamas?)....
I asked to Mirek: it's a keychain.

shalafi

There is a minimum length but as far as I know there's no maximum.

You gotta love Mirek.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

ray

OK, at the moment I'll leave like that with 4 fingers. If I do only one roll around the spike I get two fingers.