News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Jumpshoe 7

Started by BKA, 22 April, 2013, 17:40:46

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Kev

Ha! When you see a video that 10 seconds in has a double 'dama balance to 1 turn lighthouse type of thing, you know you're in for a treat!

The rest didn't disappoint! Amazing stuff Mr Jumpshoe.

Very inspiring.

the milky oolong

Finally, Jumpshoe 7. Way beyond any expectations. Bloody marvellous stuff, sir! Locations didn't look too shabby, either!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Excellent stuff, Mr J.
I liked the first 2160, the very ending of the 2nd one, the mini moon landing, and the finger-transfers of the balance.... And a lot of the rest of it too!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Always been a fan, this edit only helped reaffirm that!

Favourite trick was the frying pan flip.

shalafi

great edit... worth the wait
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

donald grant

Nice one Elliot, really enjoyed that (also, as a Scotsman, nice to see a bit of fried food making it into an edit...:) )

Kev

Quote from: donald grant on 27 April, 2013, 12:07:23
Nice one Elliot, really enjoyed that (also, as a Scotsman, nice to see a bit of fried food making it into an edit...:) )

Ha ha! ;)

MisterJumpshoe

Big thanks for all the feedback!
Music Has the Right to Children

the milky oolong

Dear Mr Jumpshoe,

A chance for you to answer your fans (imagine format and style of a late 1980s pop magazine):

Have been watching your videos for as long as kendama became a searchable field on juggling.tv, have always been massively impressed and entertained by your videos in particular; scenery, attitude, tricks, humour, etc.; I have tried to write a sentence in which I praise your efforts in promoting and living the sport of kendama, but it always sounds hopelessly flat when I do. I have watched your videos many times and the most important thing I have learned from you is not 'knees' (though you exemplify this) but 'push it' - thanks to you I am banging out Earthturn to Bat, which I am currently obsessed with, switching up form Bird to Penguin Base to Bat, etc, just exploring the possibilities.

I have one major question, and I hope you didn't already answer it in the Lunar Lander thread, because I read it through but am not used to reading long passages of English any more (strange as that sounds); how do you pop those amazing Inside Lunars of yours? I watched Dave on them, and he seems to wrap the small cup and lean forward, popping the base cup in position for a landing, but yours seem to rise with a twist like a true Inside Lunar, and it's so sharp it's not short of poetic. I won't even get on to the flips because it'll just turn into grovelling praise, but I'd really like to know the pull-up technique to get a 'tomahawk' Inside Lunar to pop up the way you seem to bring them up.

I know it's a big question, all the same, fantastic video again, sheer class.

J
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

SamB

I only just watched this. The rumours were true, it is awesome! Lunar landing the mini boggles my mind. Beautiful edit too. Can't wait for 8!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

PikWik

wow, didnt know what to expect but glad i clicked!

the mini kendama tricks blew me away; you sir are an arTist

MisterJumpshoe

Milky Oolong:

Wow, high praise!  Thank you.

Okay, how to do the reverse lunar (assuming you are right-handed):

Assuming you want to land it on the big cup, hold the ball in the usual tama grip.  Hold the ken with the string hole facing you - that way the big cup will be on the right.  Gently release the ken and give it a tiny twist, so that the big cup starts to turn away from you.  You can experiment with how much twist to give, but you really don't want the big cup to have rotated more than 45 degrees away from you.  When you pull up (again, experiment with the speed), do so by following the direction of the big cup.  So if the big cup is about 20 degrees away from you, pull up at the same angle.  Doing so will cause the ken to twist slightly as it rises.  You'll learn to tweak the amount of twist and pull you need.  Catch the ken at the apex of its ascent and bend your knees to absorb the landing.  Try to adjust your pull so that you are landing the trick more or less at chest height.  You don't want to land it too low, as it's harder to judge.

I hope this helps!  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  Perhaps I'll make a tutorial video for this trick.  :D
Music Has the Right to Children