News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Review: iOS App "iKendama"

Started by The Void, 11 July, 2011, 15:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Software: iOS App "iKendama"
Manufacturer: Beautiful Code Factory, Inc.
iTunes link: http://itunes.com/apps/ikendama

The Good:
>59p price
>48 tricks, divided into categories by Grip
>Tricks performed by a talented player

The Bad:
>No welcome screen, or information, just straight into a list.
>No other functionality apart from trick demos.
>"Demonstrating" is not "teaching". The app claims to "teach" you the tricks, but only offers demonstrations. A tiny bit misleading, I think.
>The tricks are well shot, but then they've been turned into jerky animations. There is a scrub-bar slider to scroll through the trick at your own pace, but it doesn't seem to help make things any clearer.
>Trick names: Oh boy! I certainly detect the hand of Google Translate here, sometimes in both directions. In some places they have given the same name to two different tricks, and in others, the name is just wrong.
>Set-up. The player is using a kendama that is strung left-handed. That's fine.... but he's using it right-handed!

Conclusion:
>So cheap it's tempting, but save your money!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Sound like there's a bit of room for someone feeling like an entrepreneur here! Come up with a little app that has trick names (perhaps how to's as well), include photos, a video of the day sort of thing... Oh if only I knew something about programming/had the time to do it.
Heck someone should just turn this forum into an app! Hehe I access it misty from my phone anyhow.

BatDancer

Hmmm... the BKA Kendama App? Could be a fun project, and just the excuse I needed to learn iOS programming...