News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Actually I had time to sneak a Dan practice and I'm pleased with the run. I think it's my best so far.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BKA

HansNickmans

Did a banking to wing, although I missed the spike. Trying to channel the inner Void
Kendama Belgium!

shalafi

As it happens, my Dan practice shows 9 success on the last 10 attempts, which is promising. Feeling quite solid about it, one more day to practice it.

The Void

Good ones, Hans and shalafi. Nothing much to report from me today except an aching knee and continued bafflement at Rovers. IKO practice was pretty good though.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 07 April, 2016, 15:27:01
Good ones, Hans and shalafi. Nothing much to report from me today except an aching knee and continued bafflement at Rovers. IKO practice was pretty good though.
I may be battling you on the IKO (I think the other players will be intimidated by the advanced tricklist) and then I'll witness how you beat me with on own tricks :)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

shalafi

Today I did my official last test for 2nd Dan before the IKO. Was good. I have 9/10 pass in the last 10 days, so I hope I'll step up this time.

Dimensions

Today I practice passed for 6th Dan! Second one ever!

Just need to keep this up for another 5 and a half years!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Quote from: Dimensions on 10 April, 2016, 22:16:33

Just need to keep this up for another 5 and a half years!
Well done!

Yesterday I failed my 2nd Dan "real" exam. Next try, the EKO.

Today I started editing the compilation of the IKO.

The Void

Quote from: Dimensions on 10 April, 2016, 22:16:33
Nice one dude!
QuoteJust need to keep this up for another 5 and a half years!
This reminds me of a conversation I was having with @Arron . He was a touched outraged that you had to be 21 to get 6th Dan, arguing that "if you're good enough, you're good enough". It was a hard point to argue against. But I think the phrase "Just need to keep this up for another 5 and a half years!" just crystalised something in my head. I think perhaps the JKA are requiring an extra level of dedication, on top of skill level, in requiring the age limit. In 24 years of juggling, I've seen many very talented young jugglers appear on the scene... and then a year or three later, seen them disappear again. Not that there should be any blame in that - it's natural for people's lives and tastes to evolve and change, and who would want to insist that you MUST stick with any hobby that you happen to take up for the rest of your life?

I imagine that the age limit is to discourage any "flash-in-the-pan" whizzkids from climbing to the top of the tree, without ensuring that they're sticking to kendama for the long run. I think that makes sense.

None of which is meant to disparage anyone in any way. I hope to see you get 6th Dan, @Dimensions , in 5 years or so!

the milky oolong

Quote from: shalafi on 10 April, 2016, 22:44:40

Yesterday I failed my 2nd Dan "real" exam. Next try, the EKO.

That's a bummer shalafi after all your great practise, but hey, the real exam is another thing altogether, as Iearned at EKO 2014. It can only come easier next time, yeah?

Today I spent roughly two hours trying to film the following line:

String Pinch Small Cup > Gunslinger Spike > String Pinch Big Cup > Whirlwind Spike > String Pinch Base Cup > late Whirlwind Earth Turn.

I didn't get it; everything hurts. onward!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Hard luck, Milky. ("String pinch"="string pull"="tension", I assume?)

Today I spent 5 minutes having a go at Outlink 11 (just for fun), before the cold wind drove me indoors. Rain tomorrow, so looking forwards to the #Monke session.

The Void

Today my knee objected to me trying Endless Combo #152 without a brace.