News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The Speed Trick Challenge

Started by Looby, 26 July, 2011, 22:15:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Looby

Right ladies and gents.

It's pretty self-explanatory.  You do the following ten tricks in order in the quickest time possible.

1. Oozara. Big cup
2. Kozara. Small cup
3. Chuuzara. Base cup
4. Rousoku. Candlestick
5. Swinging Oozara. Swing to big cup
6. Tsubame Kaeshi. Orbit
7. Tomeken. Pull-up-in
8. Maeuchi. Tap Back
9. Hikouki. Aeroplane
10. Moshikame for 10 catches

Because I'm lazy and because The Void worded it as well as it could be this is straight from the man himself, "The ball must return to a hanging position between each trick, except before Aeroplane, when the ken must be lowered to a held position."

That's about it....

I've started this thread with the intention of drawing up some interest, discussing transitions, giving people bragging rights etc.  Considering this is a part of the British and European Kendama Championships (Japanese too Void?), it's worth practicing too.  I gave the STC some time back in early 2010, this was my best run at the time. 

Speed Trick Challenge - 23 seconds - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Having seen this years British competition and the qualifying times of which were the best they've ever been (I nailed a clean 25 second run and only just scraped a 4th spot!), I think the STC could end up being the 'must see' at future competitions, so watch this space.

Over and out.

The Void

Quote from: Looby on 26 July, 2011, 22:15:20
Considering this is a part of the British and European Kendama Championships (Japanese too Void?), it's worth practicing too.
The JKA have their own list, "Speed Trick B" (See the bottom of http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html ). The name of it suggests they have, or had, a "Speed Trick A", but I haven't yet found out what that is/was. Robin and I created the STC for the first British competition - we wanted a list with easy tricks in it, so anyone could have a chance. So no, the JKA do not use the STC.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

Matt Pang is in Italy this weekend, so I'll post this for him:

Matt Pang Speed Trick Challenge - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

The timecode shows
hh:mm:ss:twenty-fifths-of-a-second (PAL frames)

BKA

Mark

I will post up a new video soon for this. Ive devised my own way of transitioning to and from tricks which seem to be pretty much perfect. Its just about trying to do it everytime, which is surprisingly hard. :S  8)
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

AlexSmith

damn those were some fast times, maybe one day this week I'll try my hand at this. See if I can get a time close to these 2 videos...

The Void

Here's mine.

The Void Speed Trick Challenge - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

It's really all about the transitions. Since I've never entered the STC, I don't mind sharing my tips:

Ken grip for tricks 1-3.
As you can see in my vid, I switch to left hand for the candle. This avoids the problem of having to re-grip twice to get into candle grip in the same hand.
Coming out of Candle, I switch back to my right hand, and into ken grip, and stay there for tricks 5-7. This avoids having to change grip again just before the Spike.
As you can see, I 'dismount' from Spike with a throw of the whole ken, immediately grabbing straight back into pen grip for the Tapback.
Exit the Tapback in the same way, and if you grab the ball and the ken with the correct hands, you can very quickly pull them both into the perfect start position for the Aeroplane. (I got slightly tangled).
Exit Aeroplane in the same way as you exited Spike, into pen grip for the Moshi kame.

If I hadn't tangled my Aeroplane, or fumbled the Small Cup, and been a little quicker on the Spike & Moshi, I reckon I could get it down to under 23.

Fastest recorded time in competition so far? 22.79s by kendamatty (and 22.67 in qualifying!) - who has his own transition tricks, but it's not for me to give away other people's secrets! :-)

Have fun, folks!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

It irritates me that I didn't know about kendama just a year earlier, then I'd have all these cool coloured Mugens too! aha

I'll try get my STC video up soon :)

shalafi

I am for sure under 45 sec which is not bat, but not too good either. A year ago had problems getting under 1 minute, so I think is good progress, if I ever do it in 30 seconds I'll be more than happy.

The tips from Void saved at least 5 seconds for me, so they are worth trying.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BKA

An even faster run by Mukai-san.

LarsVegas

My best run so far was 34", but I know there is much to be gained by smoother transitions. If I'll be at 25"+- 3", I think about joining the STC at the EJC12
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

shalafi

Quote from: shalafi on 14 August, 2011, 08:32:56
I am for sure under 45 sec which is not bat, but not too good either. A year ago had problems getting under 1 minute, so I think is good progress, if I ever do it in 30 seconds I'll be more than happy.

The tips from Void saved at least 5 seconds for me, so they are worth trying.
Well, I can do it consistently around 30 seconds now, I was not expecting that a year ago, so I am really happy.
Trying to get the STB under 2 minutes now :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

TheKendamaSensation

My best time is roughly 27 seconds. Great job!