News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Consistency Competition #8

Started by KendaMushroom, 27 December, 2011, 13:57:36

Previous topic - Next topic

GbH

This KCC is certainly very tough - but I do also believe that it's very much within the spirit of this particular type of competition.  By putting the emphasis on standard competition tricks, it seems reasonable to assume that many players will be familiar with them and able to do them - thus ensuring that the emphasis really is about consistency.  In that respect, I think it's a very good list.

Of course, making easier challenges is still a reasonable option, too.  The only thing with that, though, is whether the winning skill would be more to do with video posting efficiency rather than actual kendama.  I guess the other option would be to introduce a beginner/intermediate/advanced grading system.  However, making that actually work and be fair in practice would probably be too much trouble (maybe someone's got a bright idea about this...?). 

Peter

Void: That is not the point. Gbh: that is the point.

You set a list, easy to accomplish, and any European 4 to 6-Dan potential will kill it within a quarter of an hour....

Maybe, we should take this vice verse: I was walking with Jochen in Scotland, long time ago. There was a youthhostel at a lake, Loch Ossian, where you have been invited to join the "run around Loch Ossian in under an hour"-club. Well, we didn't make it (because we didn't tried it).

Yet: Why not give Kendama players the forum, to prove, that they are able to join a "European 1-Kyu Club", 1-dan-, 2-dan-,.... what so ever, who have been able to prove by video tape, that they achieved the 1-kyu, 1-dan, 2-dan... what so ever? Just one rule: the moshis at the end... to build up some sort of "been there, done that" for the entry or intermediate level players??? And come on, 2-kyu was not that easy at the beginning, so why don't start there? Some sort of community like the consistency competition "you can do it how many times", yet not only posting the highest achieved record, but all people who have achieved a certain level, e.g. 15 earth turns...?. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue, how to do this in this forum. Maybe, someone else might to pick up this idea?

Without further incentives. Just been there, done that. Being part of the community? Any one interested? At least, I would be... And yes, frankly spoken, I would have an idea, how to do this manually, yet I could not promise to actualise this on a daily base...

BKA

A BKA announcement on this is coming soon.

Adam K

KendaMushroom

I think my ladder is difficult for sure, but technically it's all tricks that should be part of the kendama player book. These days kids can do 3 turn lunar flips back to back (although i've noticed some handy touchy touchy, but i'll let them be...haha) but they can't do Around Cosmos 5 times in a row.

In every sport we have the younglings wanting to get to the highest level, but stepping over the basis. I see it everyday in rollerblading, and i've personally gave up on trying to make them understand that "there is a reason it's called BASIS". anyway.

this ladder, is basically my exercise I've been doing for a while now...each time I'm gonna play kendama...i do the basic list...then the advanced list and try the less miss possible. and to be honest, when I wrote down the 1 miss rule...it was because until now I'd never done it perfect. and also never counted the misses...but I think average stood between 10-20 misses everytime i did it for warm up, and the worst part is that the 2turn lighthouse was not the hardest.

ALL this to say, that by putting this up for the world, it pushed me to actually nail it perfect...and oh yes it was hard, filmed for about 40 minutes and when i stood on 3 misses i almost wanted to give up....my cat pushed me to do it again haha.

even if you are sure you can't do the ladder, you are participating just by reading the ladder...and seeing what tricks are you flaws. you are progressing just by considering trying some of those tricks. So try them, until the 2 last tricks...i think it's the base base base of kendama and if you can achieve those tricks within 20 tries....you are one step closer to the Dan ranking you dream of.

ok i'm done! haha

BKA

Peter

Okay, understood. So I will join this Competition, just to encourage other low performance players such as me to train this list.

And, as there are prices for the first three, and obviously no one has finished it so far, it might be that I have a chance... ;-)

So here, my first try of today, yet I promised myself to quit after 100 fails. Thus , I came to trick 14 before I gave it up. Beginning was not that bad, only 32 mistakes incl. trick 12.... Let's see, whether I can do it better tomorrow. :-)

HansNickmans

When I first saw this list, I knew I didn't stand a chance. But the fact that this list came on had me training my swing-in lighthouse like mad. Now today, I've been doing some tricks for the first time that I deemed undoable only two days ago and my swing-in lighthouse is so much more consistent. So I agree with Nic that this is great to push some people to get better (including himself) and get their basics down. Thanks Nic, it worked for me (even though I'm not even close to finishing the ladder :-))

Kendama Belgium!

Thorny

Here we go  :)

I decided to put slow motion on the catch of the 2 Turn Lighthouse because it kinda looks like it touches my hand... but it doesn't, I wouldn't have stopped filming felt so relieved when I finally completed it for the 4th time.

It took a long time today, a good hour or so... and earlier on today, I was filming and completed the ladder for my 3rd time (miss-free) but when I looked at the recording it was as zoomed in as it could be and I hadn't noticed!  :( Schoolboy error of filmmaking I know, but these things happen.

However!

KendAlex

yeah you did it, congratulations.
WELL DONE
respect,

Thorny

Quote from: KendAlex on 06 January, 2012, 22:23:57
yeah you did it, congratulations.
WELL DONE
respect,

Thank you, Alex!

Toby

Yeah, nicely done man. A well deserved win I reckon! This one was way beyond me. Still, might continue working on it.
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

The Void

Well done Thorny.

Right, only 2 chances to "win" left....

I did notice that my better efforts were coinciding with doing it earlier in the day (daylight) and the worse ones in artificial light (kitchen lights). I guess I should quote Henning Wehn at myself: "Get up early in the morning, you lazy work-shy communist - you'll get more done!"
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

Thanks very much guys!

And I think you should, Toby. Considering like people have been saying, they're all tricks which help improve your play overall!
If not all of the tricks, tackle it in sections, break it down into smaller ladders... I don't know, go crazy while your at the kettle.
Or as the case is usually, with me, the kettle and the toaster.

KendaMushroom

James, its because i'm nice and you've shown us more than once that you are able to do it, but the 3 second rule!! You are not suppose to move around during that time, i think it wouldve been a miss at the EKC...what do you think Void?

Well done anyways! So you want the rokurosen or a 2nd beeswax? Haha