News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Cup Rim Wear

Started by br4d24, 22 March, 2013, 17:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

Hi guys, i play my kendama more than i breathe so it takes a beating and wears pretty good.

The rims of the cups are starting to get pretty dull and show signs of wear. I have an older kendama that had a piece break off the cup due to this and was wondering; would it be counter productive to superglue the cup rims like we do the spikes?

I dont think it would take away anything from play except maybe some stickiness on lunars (which i cant do anyways) And once it wore down a bit im sure it would stay taky like the original wood.

Just wanted to know your guys opinion on this, anything to make my dama more durable and last longer is up my alley. I dont want to ruin it though.

And when i say put superglue on the cup rims i mean a very minimal amount only to harden the thin wood right on the rims of the cups.

BKA

It would probably increase the durability and longevity of the ken, it's true, but it is also very likely to affect the feel of play too. For this reason we would not allow such a modification in competition. Of course you are free to modify your own kendamas however you like. Do let us know your experiences over time if you go down this route.

Tips to increase the life of your kd:
Use good technique! Sink all your catches.
Don't (drop a) spacewalk etc over rough/hard surfaces.

Sad to say, but all kendamas wear out eventually...

mreasyguy

Personally i think cup/rim wear makes the ken more playable. It seems to grip alot better when there is more wear. I don't know if that's just me but i do love me a beat up ken.

br4d24

Dont get me wrong, i love wear too! But since im not going to be doing any BKA or JKA competitions (tribute isnt approved anyways) i would like to find a way to prevent cup chipping.

I went ahead and just did the big cup with minimal glue just on the small part of the rim where the ball would make contact. It seems a little stiffer like a new dama, and it was super slippy until i buffed it with some fine grit sandpaper. Now it is playing pretty much the same, but it clicks alot nicer on that modded cup. I will get back to you guys on how it turns out in the long term :)

RodDama

i sometimes glue the outside of the cups when they chip.. it usually doesnt affect play as long as you keep the glue out of the cup.. lol i have glued the inside of the cups before.. and it just is no good... haha
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com