News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Today.... Considered what KCC #32 might be....

the milky oolong

Quote from: The Void on 08 June, 2015, 22:40:03
Sounds good, guys. Oh, Japanese players you have found? Cool!

Yeah, Void! We're happy to have Kentaro Arai and Sachi Tamiya as part of the Kendama Berlin group. Did some more filming, got some great footage. Been working a lot so not had much time for kendama this week. Oh, and KCC 32 will probably be something else that Dimensions wins :)
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

It's quite possible that many people have not realised what @Dimensions has realised: If you don't enter a competition, you can't win it. This is very disappointing. We hope that many more people will realise this vital tactic is important for success!

shalafi

Quote from: BKA on 13 June, 2015, 14:46:34
It's quite possible that many people have not realised what @Dimensions has realised: If you don't enter a competition, you can't win it. This is very disappointing. We hope that many more people will realise this vital tactic is important for success!
I've been using that tactic for a while :-P and in fact it worked once. So, hey guys, it works!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Icemonkey

Quote from: the milky oolong on 08 June, 2015, 21:34:45
Congratulations Icemonkey, on both counts!
-snip-
Thanks! :)

Today I did my first turntable! It's such a fun trick, especially with a Biggie :) I also got a few lighthouse flips on the Biggie too, overall a very successful dama day for me!

The Void

Nice one, Icemonkey. Have you already transferred them to a standard sized kendama? I sometimes use a large kd to train for a hard trick, to get the feel of it, before downsizing.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Icemonkey

Quote from: The Void on 14 June, 2015, 12:06:17
Nice one, Icemonkey. Have you already transferred them to a standard sized kendama? I sometimes use a large kd to train for a hard trick, to get the feel of it, before downsizing.
I actually did it first using my yumu kendama, which is regular size but also has the holes in all the cups for removable spike pegs, so that probably helped a bit. After I got it a few times on that I decided to try it on the biggie and got it second try.
I know what you mean though by learning tricks on the jumbos and then going down to normal size, that's what I'm trying to do with lighthouse flips (although I got my first one of those on a normal size kendama too). They are good for practice and super fun to use, I also like the sound my biggie makes more so that doesn't hurt either.

the milky oolong

Quote from: BKA on 13 June, 2015, 14:46:34

Was meant as a cheeky jab, BKA. Whatever the new Consistency Challenge is, you better know I'll be giving it my best shot at nailing it before Rob. Have a CC of my own that I really want to set, and there aren't too many ways of doing that other than...

Today I came up with a nice Fast Hand Lighthouse variation, holding the ken gripped via the big/small cups with spike facing down, tama hanging, pull-up tama and forward 180° flip the ken, landing in Lighthouse. Has a really nice floaty feel to it.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Interesting, milky. I think there mght be several ways of executing that move, too.
Today I passed 6th Dan in practice. Also, my wrist hurts slightly. I think that might be kendama-book related.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

donald grant

You should try illustrating them......:)

Had a bit of a play today, found some new weird stuff, and also landed pull-up reverse whirlwind spike for the first time.  Oh, and a pull-up tap 1-turn lighthouse that looked very pretty too!

The Void

Failed on the last trick today. Always frustrating.

shalafi

Had a great game of ken with @KenDogma he's progressed a lot to the point of having even games. So much fun!

shalafi

Today (technically not the same day as the previous post) I finished editing a video titled "Not a Kendama Edit" to be uploaded later on "today".

The Void

Today I think I decided on what the KCC 32 trick list will be. Hopefully I'll get it ready for the weekend.

LarsVegas

... also had something on the bright side. My first ever tricks today were:
- reverse earth turn
- turntable
- downspike > center cup > downspike
- That trick where you wrap the string around the hand and the ken and catch on the base cup.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion