News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

[Pics] Sunrise unwrapped

Started by The Void, 07 September, 2011, 17:43:21

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Never one to rush into a review, here are my thoughts on the Sunrise that I've been playing since the end of August 2011.

The initial impression of the paint on the Sunrise was "grippy", but not too much. I wondered how this would fare over time, and I can say that the paint has stood up well to excessive use. Certainly there is a lot of denting, and a few chips in the paint (which I seem to have managed to miss in this photo, unintentionally), but nothing unreasonable for the amount of wear it's had. One issue is the layer of varnish that was on top of the paint. Over time, this has cracked and peeled, leaving the ball with a 'sunburn' effect. This seems to be merely cosmetic though, as a reasonable amount of surface tension remains on all parts of the ball. I even wonder if the varnish layer could be dispensed with entirely? Although, perhaps it has provided protection to the paint as it ebbed its life away.

The gold print on the sticker has all rubbed off. This needs to be improved.

The ken has stood up well to the clicks of time. After a few moths of wear, I superglued the tip, and this has prevented any further blunting. Although I may need to re-glue it, as most of the glue now seems to have gone. The big and small cups are wearing very well, showing hardly a ding in the rims at all. The base cup has not fared so well, showing noticeable rounding and flattening of the rim. I think this is understandable in that the base cup is more likely to crash into the ground on failed Suicide tricks than the other two. However, the grain of the wood in the base cup seems a little more open than in the others, so perhaps that's an issue too. (I have a couple of other Sunrises, and they don't seem to suffer from the same issue, so it's hard to say if it's down to this particular piece of wood, or the extent of the abuse it has suffered.)

The cross-piece is set slightly too low on my model, so it has a slightly longer spike than normal. Very occasionally this causes a slight awkwardness with Jumping Stick, but for the most part it doesn't bother me.

In short, I'm really pleased with the Sunrise's performance.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!