News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

natural

Started by axel.aas.12, 23 December, 2013, 04:25:52

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.aas.12

I was thinking about getting a ozora enjyu, or some sort of kendama with a natural ball. My only question is do they have stickyness, tackyness, grip, etc. If they do, does it or can it change from kendama to kendama? Thanks in advance
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

Kev

I have both but much prefer the standard Natural Ozora to the Enjyu. If naturals were allowed in completions it would be my go-to kendama every time.

Yes it's grippy once worn in, possibly even more sticky than any painted kendama I've ever used.

kendamajohnny

keyaki kendamas (which are similar to the enjyu kendamas, but are a lighter coloured wood, which i prefer) are currently my favourite to play with - i think it's a harder wood, so makes a very satisfying click! They are super solid due to being a harder wood and seem to last way longer than regular oozoras. The hardness means the cups don't really wear in as well as regular oozoras though, which can make lunas and lighthouses slightly harder as the cups aren't as soft, but as mentioned earlier this does make them more durable.
I think natural kendamas in general are worse for lunas and lighthouses when new, but when worn in they're ok for those kind of tricks. I also find they are more predictable and unlike painted balls they don't seem to go through phases of being really sticky one moment and then really slippy the next.
From my experience I generally find natural damas (when worn in) a lot better for bird tricks, stalls and stilts than painted. I've never used a natural oozora, but I don't think it will be too far of oozoras keyaki kendamas, which seem to now be competition certified on gloken: http://www.gloken.net/gloken-en/online-shop/jka-model-kendama/.
I've just realised i've written a very long reply without even trying any of the kendamas in question... :P but I have recently started preferring natural damas and would recommend the keyaki (unless you just want to do lunas all day!) as being very solid. Knowing how oozoras play I can imagine the natural oozoras are bad either.
sorry about the mini essay... and please say if anyone disagrees with me! hope it helps :)

BKA

Quote from: kendamajohnny on 23 December, 2013, 15:05:44Knowing how oozoras play I can imagine the natural oozoras are bad either.
Typo? Do you mean aren't bad?

axel.aas.12

thanks! it helps a lot!
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

kendamajohnny

yep meant aren't bad