News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Light Kendamas

Started by Leologic777, 16 May, 2015, 17:20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Leologic777

A few days ago my friend asked me if I know any light kendamas. I don't know any so I decided to ask.

Thanks

Leo ;D
Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months

The Void

Shin Fujisawa are quite light, in my experience.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Icemonkey

I suppose you could take a one of the yumu kendamas with the three removable pegs, and just keep the pegs out and that could make for a pretty light kendama (due to there just being three holes in the middle of each cup that would be removing weight).
I also imagine that a kendama made out of bamboo might be pretty light.

Or if your friend wants a really light kendama he could just buy one of the mini ones. ;)

theobau

mahogany is very light too

LarsVegas

I recently got a Yumu and three tama is not very light. Compared to the Ozora, it is rather heavy, to the point that I even have problems doing two turn tricks.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Icemonkey

Quote from: LarsVegas on 25 May, 2015, 09:43:12
I recently got a Yumu and three tama is not very light. Compared to the Ozora, it is rather heavy, to the point that I even have problems doing two turn tricks.
Wow really? I have a Sweets x Yumu so the tama is one of the sweets marble paint ones. I was just thinking about the ken I guess, I don't really know of any really light tama's (I guess a five hole tama would be very light, again because of less wood). Is your Yumu ken heavier then the Ozora ken?

Edit: Oh yeah, I might as well mention this since we're talking about Yumu's, but careful when you get their ken's with the three extra removable spikes. It's really easy to get the spikes stuck in the holes so hard that it takes a tremendous effort to get them out. Also the base cup spike on mine falls out way too easily because the hole is too big for the extra pegs, not sure how I can fix this without making it non-removable, but yeah. Just a head's up (don't want to derail the thread though).

Peat

@Icemonkey wrap some paper or tape around the bottom of the pegs, that should help them stay in without having to use glue or any other permanent solution.

Also in keeping with the thread I hear walnut can be very light. I had a krom quad split that was pretty light too.

KenSan

I'd go with void on this. I have a natural shin Fuji and all in it weighs 130g (60g tama and 70g Ken) compared to my tk16 150g and my Royal 158g! Sometimes it feels like balsa wood! :o
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

shalafi

I agree. Shin fuji are the lightest kendamas I've tried.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Dimensions

Beech Kaizens can be very light, but has a very inconsistent weight distribution and quality
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Leologic777

Thanks Everyone!

-Leo ;D
Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months