News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama uas padauk grape silk color.

Started by Swing_King, 25 May, 2015, 03:22:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Swing_King

Hey there, after seeing threads and comments about how the KUSA padauk kens come in a bright orange color, then slowly become a darker color. Question is, mine came dark, I have not experienced the light orange color.
Any thoughts?

Icemonkey

My guess is that you got one that was slightly older stock. It really doesn't matter how much you play it, the wood starts to change color after it's exposed to air, so maybe your's was made with older wood/is just a bit older stock.

You can read more about how Padauk changes color here (look at the color/appearance part, also this site is really neat as it tells you the hardness and differences of a ton of different woods). You can also just read about how wood generally changes color (and steps to slow the process) here.

Also how is the Padauk ken? I've heard they tend to chip if you drop them on a hard surface, so be careful. Is the silk tama paint good too? I've been deciding between a translucent and a silk paint cherry...

Swing_King

Thanks icemonkey. I was very happy with my purchase of the padauk! The wood is definitely strange to someone who has only played beechwood kens. It almost feels like a hard plastic because it is so smooth to the touch and has one hell of a clack. The new silk paint is amazing. Although I haven't played it nearly enough to tell you how it breaks in, I can assure you lunars and lighthouses will be in your combos alot. Personally, I would cop on the cherry white silk from KUSA. The cherry wood is amazing to play. Let me know which one your going to get!

Thanks for the reply! (:

Icemonkey

No problem (: It's interesting to hear that the Padauk almost feels like plastic because of how smooth it is, I haven't heard anyone say that before. Glad you like it though!

I think I'm leaning towards getting that cherry white silk now, because I've heard the translucent paint is weird and throws the weight off a bit (or something like that). I've also heard that the silk paint gets kinda glossy after a few months but I've also heard that it's one of the best paint formulas around right now, so I guess the only way to really see would be to try one out myself. Thanks for the input!

Swing_King

You've hit the nail on the head about the ghost silk being different from the others. And again with the padauk, it is by far the smoothest wood. And the clack makes it feel like plastic. :/ I'm looking forward to hear your experience with that cherry silk. I might have to scoop one up next time ;)

Oh! And about the paint becoming glossy, I haven't experienced that yet, but I don't know how it would become glossy with dents and dings. Wouldn't that make it tackier?!?

Icemonkey

I didn't mean the ghost silk, I meant this and these, as opposed to the silk paint. I think there's a difference between the ghost silk and the translucent, but I haven't heard good things about either of them. The translucent paint apparently feels weird and chips and the ghost silk is supposedly weighted weird. The cherry glossy wine just looks awesome though, if I were to get that I think I might be afraid to play with it because of how beautiful it looks :/

As for the paint becoming glossy, I've really just heard that in some of the review things on KendamaUSA on the product's page (and I don't know how reliable those are honestly, since they'll say the paint chips but give it a 5/5 anyways :/ ). It would seem to make more sense that it would get tackier from the dents, unless maybe you got the tama REAAALLLYYYY dirty and never cleaned it. 

Swing_King

Exactly. We'll I guess it's just a matter of time and lots of breaking in.  ::) ;)

Icemonkey

I ended up going with the cherry silk white kaizen, instead of the cherry translucent glossy wine. I will post a review once I get it and break it in! :D