News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Can the string mark the paint on a tama?

Started by thaidiesky, 25 June, 2015, 10:33:55

Previous topic - Next topic

thaidiesky

Is it possible for the string to mark the paint on the tama?  I put my kendama in my pocket as I was out and about.  When I came home I noticed a mark on the paint that looked like the string.  I purchased my kendama used.  It is a Kendama USA Custom Tribute – The Cook Gourmet Fade – Blue Slushie.  The mark may have been on the tama already, I may not have noticed it.  I just want to be sure so that I don't damage the paint just by having the string too tight against the tama.  Thank you. 

The Void

Sure, it's possible. Stickier paints are also softer, so a custom may well have softer paint, and therefore a tightly-wrapped string could theoretically dig in to it. Something to watch out for.
Most production-run tamas probably have paint that is tough enough for this not to be an issue. Although Sunrise, for example, do string some models with a small strip of stiff paper between the string and the tama, to prevent this issue.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

peterthake

What Void says! Be careful not to make the string too tight over the tama (ball) when storing your kendama. If the string is really tight and taut it is possible for the string to dig into the relatively soft paint.
Proprietor, Kendama-world.com

ray

My SunRise had a cardboard with a hole to put it in the ken. When you "close" your kendama, the cardboard is in the middle of the string and the ball.

If you don't have it, you can create it.

I used just until today (less than two month). I don't care the aspect (it looks old...).
Enjoy your life. Circus and love!