News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Painting your tama

Started by Bad Wolf, 03 December, 2012, 08:20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Wolf

Have you painted your tama before? Please explain your method and the types of paints you used! Thanks.

KendAlex

Hey Bad Wolf,

I did some customs in the Past ,
i did use Acrylics spray cans,  to get the paintjob smooth and nice,
starting on a wooden ball first make a nice layer with Primer in the color you need, (best is white, so you can use any other basic color over it)
after you did spray the primer and it the ball is dry, feel if the ball is smooth, if not use some 800 sand paper to make it smooth.
clean the tama dust free and finger print free before you start to spray the basic color paint you like.

after the basic color covered the whole tama, and if you like the results, then finish it with high gloss Acrylic clear coat,
i used to spray 7-8 layers clear coat to protect the basic color for a long time.

if the ball is totaly dry, it will have the shine you like.

tips,
- keep the hole of the ball clean, (make a cone to cover it)
- when you spray keep a distance of a foot away of the ball,
- hang the ball on a string so you can turn it to spray nice and all around it.
- when you spray use face covers and mounth cover to stay healty. (thing i forgot sometime)
- when you spray in layers , acrylics need pauze of 15 minutes before you can do the next
- when you done with the base color, wait one day before you start to build up the clear coat layers, (if you spray clear coat 15 minutes after the basic color, the basic color stay soft and wet under the clear coat and the paint on the ball would dent faster when you play it when it is all done)
- when you are done spraying, put the can upside done and spray the paint out of the cap (to make the cap paint free , so you can use it another time if you want)

here i made a tutorial how i did customs.

if there are any questions, feel free to ask me
good luck

happygoat

I'd like to know if anyone in here has experience with custom painting with an airbrush spray gun?

Further, I'd like to know more about:

• Types of paint
  • Equipment in general
  • Recommended airbrush spray guns
  • Tips'n'tricks
  • Etc...

Misterwhang

Wow that was a great video! I think I am going to have to try that out hahaha!

jackmccloskey

what clear coat would you recommend for a sticky tama?
I like Tacos and/or Burritos

PikWik

i wanna say, you should stick with acrylic if your paint is acrylic. so a "Flat Acrylic Crystal Clear coat" should do the trick. just apply in even layers and have patience. spray a coat, then WAIT. spray a coat, then WAIT. .. id do that for about 3 coats at least. if youre going for a more aisuru finish that wears as you play but is tough to the elements, id use spar urethane as a top coat instead.

best of luck with this! ive done a few customs and as long as youre patient and plan things out, this is easy. just cover the hole and use a string like kendalex shows. if youre painting a blank kendama i would let that initial paint/layers dry for 24 hours before adding the clear coat.

and maybe go to your local hardware store and find one of the employees in the paint isle. they would know all of this, plus some

Bahama Kendama

We do something called Hydro-printing, here a video we made showing it.  It's pretty cool stuff.

Bahama Kendama
Innovative Quality Kendama since 2009

ray

Hello.

If you paint it by yourself, can it be used in competitions and grades test?
Enjoy your life. Circus and love!

BKA