News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Official BKA gradings

Started by BKA, 08 January, 2012, 07:38:18

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Those tables show what you have to do for each grade, on the assumption that you have already qualified the previous level. If you have not done a grading before, you must start at 10th Kyu, and do ALL the required tricks for each grade, working your way upwards. So for example, the 5th and 6th Dan grades do not mention Moshi, because you (theoretically) already did the 1000 for 4th Dan. You don't have to repeat any trick that is a blank, because it is assumed that you have already reached the required standard of that trick on a previous grade.

Thorny

I see.

So, in Poland if I wanted to become certified of a Dan ranking (taking into account I've never been certified) I'd have to do all of the Kyu rankings in one, or separate exams(?) and then attempt a Dan ranking?

Am I correct in thinking that?

BKA

You'll do one exam. It will start with a moshi run, and that will show us your possible maximum grade. (e.g. If you got 346, that would mean a maximum possible grading of 2nd Dan.) You would then start making your way through the Kyu compulsory tricks, starting right from Big Cup. If you succeed with all of those, you try all the Pre-Dan tricks, and if you get all of those, you start on the Dan tricks. If you then (for example) got 3 Earth Turns out of 10, that would mean you could not get 2nd Dan (because that requires 4), but you would continue trying to get 1st Dan. If you then got as far as Jumping Stick, but failed to get 1 out of 10, you would then be awarded Pre-Dan. But if you got that 1 JS, you'd be 1st Dan.
Then you have to wait a set period before taking another exam:
Quote from: BKA on 13 March, 2012, 17:43:40
Q: When can I take my next exam?
A: You have to wait a minimum time between exams. How long exactly depends on the grade you are going for:
Kyu 10-6: 1 day
Kyu 5-1: 1 week
Pre-dan - 5th Dan: 1 month
6th Dan: 1 year

BKA

Quote from: Thorny on 13 May, 2012, 19:23:51So, in Poland if I....
Wait.... You're coming to Poland?

BKA

Congratulations to Ian F and Orin , who both improved their gradings at Bungay Balls Up.

BKA

Congratulations to Mr Jumpshoe, who gained Pre-Dan status today, and also joins the list of BKA Kyu Examiners.

Current examiners and locations are:
Void, (->4th Dan), Bristol
Matt, (-> Pre-Dan), Bedford
Sam, (-> 1st Kyu), W. London
Donald, (-> 1st Kyu), Fife
MisterJumpshoe, (-> 1st Kyu), peripatetic/Crete

BKA

http://www.kendama.co.uk/dan.html has been updated for Rod, Nic and Alex. (Alex, Rod, how many Moshi Kames did you get?)

Colin, Jeffrey, Eric and Brett, if you want to be on there, just join the forum! :)

BKA

Many congratulations to those passing JKA gradings in Lublin today:

Kristin 2nd Kyu
Alex S 1st Kyu
Lars 1st Kyu
Thorkild 1 st Kyu
Mathias 1st Kyu
Raul 1st Kyu
Void 4th Dan

Photos are on our Twitter feed
<----- over there

BKA

After 5 pm CET is a new day in Japan....

So your applause please for
Kristin 1st Kyu
Alex S 3rd Dan
Thorkild 4th Dan
Mathias 4th Dan!

Pictures on Twitter!

The Void

I'm pretty chuffed, I have to say. My hand was shaking a bit at times, but the Birds didn't want to fall off their perches. I'm allowed to try for 5th Dan later today, but even though I already have the Moshi Kame and STB under my belt, I still think the compulsories are just a bit beyond me (when under pressure) at the moment.

But I'm happy with 4th. (For now! :-) )

I'm really impressed with Thorkild and Mathias' skills. It's one thing to see someone on video, but these guys are monsters in the flesh, and both thoroughly deserve their 4th Dans. Well done guys!

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

Thomas, Daniela and Eelco, 1st Kyu!
SamB 3rd Dan!

Go!
Twit for Pics!

BKA

shalafi

Congrats. And I'm pre-dan as well :-)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BKA

The gradings are spreading. New examiners added to the list:

Void, (->5th Dan), Bristol
Matt, (-> 1st Dan), Bedford
Sam, (-> 3rd Dan), W. London
Donald, (-> 1st Kyu), Fife
MisterJumpshoe, (-> 1st Kyu), peripatetic/Crete
Alex Ruisch (-> 3rd Dan), Amersfort
Jeffrey van Reeven (->3rd Dan), Rotterdam
Daniela von Rohr (-> 1st Kyu), Switzerland
Thomas Holzer (-> Pre-Dan), Switzerland
Nicolas Schopfer (-> 4th Dan), Switzerland

Welcome, guys, and thanks for helping to spread kendama dedication to more countries! More names to come soon.....

LarsVegas

Quote from: BKA on 03 August, 2012, 10:14:00
The gradings are spreading. New examiners added to the list:

... List deleted ...

Welcome, guys, and thanks for helping to spread kendama dedication to more countries! More names to come soon.....

What does it need to be an examiner? How can you become one?
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion