News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

panagiotis bastas

i search for a video, but i diden't find nothing.!

the milky oolong

Came up with a little run today and came across this trick:

As Candle Balance but with fingertip flat on the kozara rim where a Small Bird would land, achieving equilibrium.

Anyone seen this before? If not, want to?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Kev

If I'm understanding you correctly then yes I have seen that before, have a look at this Jake Wiens video at around 3:33.

Lovely little trick - nice switching between the cups too.

Is this what you mean?

the milky oolong

Hi Kev,

Unfortunately living in Germany means I can't watch many YouTube videos because of their music content licensing not extending to mainland Europe (bah!), so I can't see what you're referring to. Thanks for the help all the same! Yeah, nice little trick, somehow more difficult to flip into Lighthouse from, despite the increased surface area - the ken is at a serious tilt during the balance, and you have to push down with the right force or else you push the ken up out from under the tama, which is tilting off towards you too. Rewarding, though! 
Kendama Berlin

Kev

Hmm, I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. There's no 'serious tilt' in what I'm suggesting.

I've just taken a picture of me doing the balance (in the video Jake throws from this position to the identical balance on the other cup so effectively the fingers move to the other side of the spike).

Is this what you meant or are you talking about something different?

Maybe show us if you have video / photo available?

EDIT: Just realised you said the balance was on the rim, so obviously we are talking different tricks. I'd like to see it!

the milky oolong

No problem (the trick after the Swing to Monkey's Chair):

Kendama Berlin

Kev

Thanks [user]milky oolong[/user] sadly it says video set to private (for me at least!).

Maybe you need to tweak something?

the milky oolong

Tweak?

The balance is on the lip of the small cup, no finger touching the spike, and no part of the finger in the hollow between spike and small cup lip. Try to balance it yourself using the lip, you'll see that it's not even possible to edge nearer the spike as the balance tips instantly too much towards you. Too much compensation in the opposite direction means you'll drop your kendama off the balcony.
Kendama Berlin

Kev

Yep, working now.

That's a great trick, [user]milky oolong[/user] I'll be trying that later.

Thanks for the video!

quadraptor

So...I don't know if there's a name for this trick or not, thought I'd just ask and see if anyone had a clue.  It's a beginner trick but does take a few tries to balance it right.  I just took a couple of pictures because I honestly have no idea if this has a name or not.

Quite simply, it's a 'bird' but catching the tama on the side of the spike instead of catching it between the spike and the cup.

Kev

I've heard that trick called Frying Pan, Side Spike and I think Ken Stop.

Personally, and this is only my method, if the hole is touching the spike as it would be for Slip On Stick, then I call it Side Spike.

If the tama is just balanced as you've shown but the position of the hole isn't relevant then I call it Frying Pan.

Like I say this is only my view but its handy for talking about tricks clearly.

quadraptor

Awesome!  I'm glad there's a name for it so I can at least know what to call it.  Makes me laugh it's called 'frying pan', it sure does look like a frying pan with an egg or something.

Thanks a bunch!

Edit -

I actually have another one.  Any idea if there's a name for...

Holding the ken by the spike (like you would doing the candlestick) and catching the tama either in the big cup or little cup?

the milky oolong

You'd have to check with [user]the Gods[/user] but I think it'd just be referred to as (Candle Grip)Small Cup/Big Cup. Try to land 'Around the World' from that grip, including the switch to Spike - a fun challenge for you, [user]quadraptor[/user]!
Kendama Berlin

BKA

Aeroplane>Juggle to Base cup.