News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

1st Irish Kendama Open (March 21st, 2015)

Started by shalafi, 29 December, 2014, 16:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Quote from: shalafi on 23 January, 2015, 12:52:47
About the kendama, I'm quite open to allow people play, so in principle BKA approved + a few extra exceptions, like the one they sell on Tiger, and of course, competition size.

I won't allow stick paint finishing, like the Sweets aTack, Krom Rubber or Play Pro Grip. If you have such a kendama, I'm sure you have another one as well that qualifies.

I won't allow things like Mugen mushou, I think that is unfair.

I won't be strict about having to be your own kendama, if you borrowed one for the day, that's fine with me. I may even bring some with me.

All in all, I want to encourage people to play, so I *may* allow any kendama on the beginners ladder. The restrictions are meant for advanced players not getting an extra edge.
Actually, I've rethought this and decided to just go for "Competition size" so, bring whatever kendama you want.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

shalafi

I just got confirmed the time to be more like 11 a.m.

This should not be a problem for Void, I hope it is not a problem for Matt either.

In case you get lost and need to contact me, send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

The Void

Aargh! That's more stressful. No time to arrive and chill out first. Well, if my plane's late, don't start without me. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 10 March, 2015, 13:33:05
Aargh! That's more stressful. No time to arrive and chill out first. Well, if my plane's late, don't start without me. :)
I know, they just told me now, I always asked for the 13:00 slot, but somehow they thought it was planned for Sunday.

Don't worry, we won't start without you or Matt (or anyone that has confirmed they come). I will try to run a Kendama workshop at 11:00 so we can start later.

kendamatty

Ah that's an early start, should get there near the start hopefully! (3 hour bus ride is the only potential delaying obstacle).
Have you had much interest in/near Dublin? It is just me and emma coming across from the west coast,  a new weekend job has snared the one additional recruit I convinced unfortunately.
Should be a good craic anyway!

The Void

I just watched the trick video again. Clarifications, please!...

-Mini-Spacewalk
I just realise I've been practising with a "held tama" start, releasing into a backswing before entering the MS. Is that allowed? Or should I switch to the free-hanging tama start as you do in the video?

-Whirlwind big cup - Fast Hand Aeroplane
In the video, after the Whirlwind BC, you "release" two fingers before going into the FH move. (It's slightly hidden by the title.) How strict are you going to be about minor grip changes like this?

-Fast Hand Spike
"tama grip or reverse tama grip". Fine. But I assume "the hole must be pointing upwards to begin with"?

Of course, whatever you decide is totally fine, I just want to be clear.
Thanks!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

I'm on my phone so, quick reply.

Free hanging tama for the mini-spacewalk

Allowed grip adjustment for whirlwind -> fast hand aeroplane.

Hole facing up for the fast hand spike.

Since it's very likely that only you and Matt enter advanced, I'd like to know if you're willing to play with all the tricks (for more fun and variety) or just the ones for the final (strict ruling).

The Void

Thanks for the answers. Understood.

All tricks? Fine by me.
Is it "first to 5 points", btw? I don't think that was stated anywhere.

shalafi

In the official page it says:

"In the final, the first to 3 points will be the winner."

While that is fine in competitions with a lot of rounds, I believe with just 2 players, one game for 3 points will be too short.

I think 5 points with all the tricks is better, if you both agree.

We are doing this for fun, changing the rules to improve the enjoyment even if it is less than a week to go is fine with me (if everyone agrees).

shalafi

Kev

Hope it goes really well!

Sorry I can't join this time.

Dimensions

May I request the final showdown to be filmed?
Good luck guys!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

the milky oolong

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

Quote from: Dimensions on 19 March, 2015, 19:58:14
May I request the final showdown to be filmed?
Good luck guys!
I was planning to :-)