News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Shenzhu Ken?

Started by WweFan10122, 19 May, 2012, 00:22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

WweFan10122

Hello, i'm new to Ken's and i was wondering if anyone has owned a Shenzhu Kendama before from Kendama co. I am going to get one but since that sight allows for which weight i want i decided to select mid to heavy but i'm not sure which kendama to get. Originally i wanted to purchase a TK16 but my friends say just start out with a Oozora.

John

Never mind the Shenzhu, get yourself a TK16. And when you finally get to the stage where it's on it's last legs, then get a SunRise or Oozora. Personally I'd opt for the SunRise, but it's up to you.
Happy clicking!

PAshaRome

Get a TK16 and enjoy playing it!

Sam Merkel

In regards to asking about the shenzhu ken itself, they are pretty dang sturdy, and probably by favorite US brand ken. The wood stays very new-like for the majority of its lifetime in my experience, unlike oozoras which wear in softer (which is a characteristic that I really like about them,) and unlike TKs which really just break after some use. Not even kidding. They don't break in, they just break. As for the paint, the normal finish stays somewhat slick, but all of their models do stilts rather well (and I'm a stilts junkie.) The satin finish break in well after some play and the glow are sticky as anything and really just for fun. I've seen some extremely high level players playing with them and having a blast. The one combination I can't tell you about is the metallic with painted cups, I've never played one, but they are rather good looking in person. Overall the wood is quality and the paint is as well, although it may be a tad slick for a period of time. (I DID play with a sticky satin while in Seattle, much stickier than out of package.) They'll definitely take a beating as well. Mine have, trust me.
As for JKA, if you want to go with a JKA kendama I'd suggest an oozora. Best overall kendama in my opinion, and from what I've heard the opinion of many others. They break in very well and the new (if it's even considered new anymore) paint is spot on. I nearly played the cups off of my yellow. They maintain a very good overall feel with more stick than a TK and less chipping. Overall superior. They're also made in Japan (I believe.)
Keep in mind this is all my opinion, but it is also all from experience.

MattDeCoteau

I normally only play with JKA kendamas but my Shenzhu is amazing. I have a satin and I love it.