News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Reverse Ken Flip

Started by Kicking Orphans, 12 January, 2014, 05:02:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Kicking Orphans

Is reverse ken flip a trick? Someone I know told me that the tama goes on the bottom cup and you flip the ken counterclockwise. Or is it a normal ken flip just spinning the ken the opposite way?

the milky oolong

Hey Orphans (you don't really do that, do you? Band name? Something else? Cool.),

There seems to be a consensus on the BKA forum that 'kenflip' is an unsuitable word - just that it's been used to describe way too many tricks that involve the ken seemingly doing anything other than catching on a cup or spiking. I'll give an example of one I've seen or heard:

Kenflip Lighthouse = used to mean severally 1-Turn Lighthouse, Lighthouse Somersault, Juggle Lighthouse, Big Cup>Lighthouse.

Kenflip somehow happens to mean so many things to so many people, which is great, but not very helpful as we often use these names when asking for help learning tricks, discussing combos, transitions, etc.

If you mean to catch the tama on the small cup, then in one move flip the ken one whole turn, catching the tama back on the small cup, I think we would say Small Cup>Whirlwind>Small Cup, to differentiate between this and Whirlwind Small Cup (pull-up>Whirlwind>Small Cup). The bit about reverse or not, I'm not sure - whirlwinds are normally counter-clockwise as one pushes down to flip the ken. Clockwise whirlwinds tend to be a bit more tricky.

Any better advice, BKA? Void? Anyone?

EDIT: Just realized, clockwise/counter-clockwise is dependent on someone watching you perform the trick from the right side or the left. I presume you mean, as I did, the base cup moving downwards into the flip. Then it's a standard whirlwind, as far as I know.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate