News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

British Kendama Open 2014, Leeds, May 3rd/4th

Started by BKA, 07 October, 2013, 13:08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisWhyte

Quote from: BKA on 10 March, 2014, 19:51:49

Under 2 months to go now. How's the practice going, everyone?
managed to get c-whip! getting about 1/5 of them, now that i've landed everything on the list more than 5 times, practice practice practice!
- SKO 2013 Int. 1st, SKO 2013 Best Trick
-BKO 2014 Adv. 3rd, BKO 2014 2nd Best Trick

BKA

Dimensions

Just had a good run through
Got all of the first 10 first go - but with 1 miss on Scoop Up and a fair few on Dead Body
Missed the aeroplane on J-Stick
And another miss on the Pirrouette
A few misses on Monkey's chair
Then a few misses on Moon Circle and Half-Swirl Aeroplane

So not bad me-thinks

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

HansNickmans

My travel plans were becoming rather fixed, but apparently we have an opportunity that weekend to spread kendama in our hometown. On May 4th, the Japanese Garden of our city has its opening weekend and wants to include kendama in the activities of that day... So I'm gonna try and collaborate with the local circusstore (that sells kendamas) to get something going.

Too bad that it's on the same day, but I'll probably save up the money to get to Denmark this summer. Hopefully with some more Belgian players :-)

I really wanted to come, so hopefully next year...
Kendama Belgium!

BKA

That's a shame we won't see you. But good luck with your event.

BKA

Just heard Nabin, Benjamin and Javi have booked their flights! :D

Dimensions

Quote from: KrisWhyte on 03 March, 2014, 00:09:28
Hotel=Booked!!
I am now the same, 100% attendance at BKO for me!

I also think having the KD Spain team competing will definitely liven up this years Dan-Jam too, I watched EKO's Dan-Jam and I have to admit, Javi was good!
Well I also think i'm going to definitely go for advanced for certain - unless I chicken out on the day!

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

kendamatty

Ay up folk! So last week my car died a very uneventful death, so all seemed lost for coming to leeds in an affordable manner (I.e. avoiding trains). Therefore I have commandeered my university minibus, and am happy to collect people en route of they chuck me petrol cash? Im driving from Cambridge around 9am Saturday morming and leaving leeds around 7pm sunday eve.
Any takers? I will have the bus confirmed in 2 weeks but want to start planning the route! Currently have me, girlfriend, luke (big guy counterpart) and possibly one more confirmed.  5 more seats remain!

Lastly, and affordable bed n breakfasts someone can recommend which are close enough to the venue and will have parking?
Many thanks

The Void

Sorry for your loss.

There was a previous post in this thread about hotels. (Often much the same price as B&Bs, I find). Dunno if Kev has any other local suggestions though.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

The closest two options to the venue hotel-wise are the Mercure Parkway on the Otley Road and Weetwood Hall. These will not be the very cheapest option available but they will be a reasonable average for a decent place to stay.

[user]mreasyguy[/user] found that the Ibis nearer the city centre (Kirkstall or Burley Road I think) was the most competitive price he could find. I also suggested the YHA in Headingley.

Headingley is a couple of miles from the venue and has quite a lot of bed and breakfast places and smaller hotels due to the cricket and rugby grounds.

The venue is only a couple of minutes from the ring road so as well as exploring options along the route straight out of town northward from the city centre, through Headingley and on to Adel, you could also consider the Travel Lodge type places that are dotted around the ring road.

The Otley road is the main road from the city north to Adel and on a week day I'd avoid it due to commuters / traffic but as we are talking about the weekend you can make it from the venue to the city centre in around ten maybe fifteen minutes by car.

So, if you've got wheels, you will have the pick of places to stay in town as well.

For those without wheels, see earlier in the thread for advice on buses and taxis which are quite reasonably priced.

Any more questions just ask!

kendamatty

Cheers for the advice Kev, I am a cost conscious kind of guy so I think I should manage something!

Again, minibus seats up for grabs! Depending on where you are, as little as a tenner per person petrol contribution if I do not have to stray too far afield!  It is a 16 seater so plenty of room! send me a private message for info!

The Void

I picked up a few goodies from the JKA office to sell at BKO. First choice/best price goes to BKA members.
More details in a while.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

BKA has some special stock for cash sale[nb]Sorry, no web orders on these. Perhaps after BKO if any are left.[/nb] at BKO[nb]Or BJC if you message us soon.[/nb].
Stock levels as shown. BKA Members[nb]Not the same thing as "forum members"[/nb] can reserve. (First come first served. BKA members #1-46 get first shout until 23:59, April 10th).
BKA members[nb]Not the same thing as "forum members"[/nb] also get £2 discount off any kendama shown here.

More pics in the gallery

Kendama       BKA member[nb]Not the same thing as "forum members"[/nb] price    Non-BKA member price

Ozora "Raijin" God Of Thunder £23   £25
Ozora Premium White  £22   £24
Ozora Petal        £21   £23
Ozora Horse        £21   £23
Ozora Galaxy        £19   £21
Shin Fuji Stripe     £13.50   £15.50
Shin Fuji Keyaki     £13   £15

MisterJumpshoe

@Kendamatty.  Are you going to pass anywhere near Chester, or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

I must also find a place to stay.  Hopeless at organising, I am.
Music Has the Right to Children

BKA

Only some of the prizes for this year's BKO. More to come.
Thank you Kendama World, Oddballs and Ultra Kendamas!